Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Civic power steering issue/foam

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SevenNoOni is an unknown quantity at this point
03 Civic power steering issue/foam

Okay, I have foaming power steering fluid. I'm at a loss as to what is causing it.
I did bleed the system, key on, engine off, lock to lock for what felt like eternity. I didn't have anyone to watch for bubbles, So i just kept going until my arms fell off lol!

I also checked for kinked lines, and leaking lines and found neither, they look in proper working condition.

The only place I found fluid leaking is from the cap on the reservoir..(that fluid runs off the side down the short hose, and drips straight onto the lower belt... yea the sound is amazing..)

A mechanic at the Honda Dealership suggested changing the rack, he disagreed with my initial thought that it was the pump.
His theory is that the rack is pulling air in and causing the foam.
My problem is if the rack is drawing in air, wouldn't it also be pushing fluid out that same hole?

Any ideas? I have no issue changing the rack it just doesn't make sense to me, and he didn't seem like he cared to talk anymore lol.

Relevant information.
2003 Honda Civic Ex 1.7
168000 miles and climbing every day
original rack and power steering pump.
The pump only whines when I'm doing extended stop and start driving in a city.
otherwise its silent.
Never lose power steering.

So any help would be awesome! thanks for reading this,
Thanks in advance for any help and opinions!

(P.s I did see someone else had a similar issue after an engine swap, but the thread was pretty old, wasn't sure if i should reopen it.)
Old 03-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 Civic power steering issue/foam

The inlet hose fitting on the PS pump has an O ring seal that probably needs replaced. It will suck in air through that seal.

Honda part# 91345-RDA-A01
Costs all of USD 75 cents MSRP.
Clean off the dirt.......Remove one bolt, wiggle the fitting out, swap out the O ring seal, reassemble and refill.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

SevenNoOni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ezone, I have not done that! i'll give that a go this weekend!!!!
Old 03-15-2016
Registered!!

FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me know if it works, I'm currently in the very same boat.
Old 04-27-2017
Registered!!

Sickwheelsbro is an unknown quantity at this point

can you tell me exactly where the inlet house is I'm having the same problem and need to change my o ring
Old 04-27-2017
Registered!!

question man do you know where the inlet house is so I can put my new o ring , I'm having the same issues
Old 04-28-2017
Registered!!

04 blue civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezone is correct the power steering system is "cavitating" "sucking air". Did you recently do any work to vehicle? If so make sure everything is tight. I've had a lot of these pumps suck Air due to the print like ezone stated. As well as the hose clamps on the reservoir would not seal back up since hose was disturbed had to replace them new clamps couldn't even seal
Old 05-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 blue civic
Ezone is correct the power steering system is "cavitating" "sucking air". Did you recently do any work to vehicle? If so make sure everything is tight. I've had a lot of these pumps suck Air due to the print like ezone stated. As well as the hose clamps on the reservoir would not seal back up since hose was disturbed had to replace them new clamps couldn't even seal

Sorry for a late response but update I changed the o ring , the old one was flat and defective , REPLACED with new orange o ring . no more foam no more bubbles YAY !!! but only problem now its leans from the suction hose , everytime I refill I look under my car theres wet spots it looks like the suction on connecting to the reservoir is old and worn out but every thing else looks fine ordering new hose keep you guys updated