Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

First Post - Overflowing Coolant Overflow but good HG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dabba is an unknown quantity at this point
First Post - Overflowing Coolant Overflow but good HG?

So a few weeks ago I had the shop I work at replace the timing belt, and along with it, the water pump.

A week or two later, I noticed I began loosing heat at idle and read that it was airlock. I burped the radiator and fixed the problem, though it returned about 2 weeks later.

The mechanic checked the car out again. He pressurized the cooling system to 15psi and did not see any leaks upon inspection. He also tried replacing the radiator cap (Aftermarket) to no effect. At 3k rpms you can see slow bubbling in the overflow

I went ahead and bought a chemical test, and tested it after the drive home from work after the vehicle cooled (About 35 mins on the highway) and it came up negative.

So HG seems to be good, and the waterpump isnt leaking, nor is it leaking anywhere else.

My next step is to try a honda cap, and to do the chemical test on the overflow when its bubbling.

I'm kind of lost. My mechanic still thinks its a headgasket as the chem tests are not always reliable, but any other opinions?

Thank you!
Old 02-29-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: First Post - Overflowing Coolant Overflow but good HG?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dabba
So a few weeks ago I had the shop I work at replace the timing belt, and along with it, the water pump.

A week or two later, I noticed I began loosing heat at idle and read that it was airlock. I burped the radiator and fixed the problem, though it returned about 2 weeks later.

The mechanic checked the car out again. He pressurized the cooling system to 15psi and did not see any leaks upon inspection. He also tried replacing the radiator cap (Aftermarket) to no effect. At 3k rpms you can see slow bubbling in the overflow

I went ahead and bought a chemical test, and tested it after the drive home from work after the vehicle cooled (About 35 mins on the highway) and it came up negative.

So HG seems to be good, and the waterpump isnt leaking, nor is it leaking anywhere else.

My next step is to try a honda cap, and to do the chemical test on the overflow when its bubbling.

I'm kind of lost. My mechanic still thinks its a headgasket as the chem tests are not always reliable, but any other opinions?

Thank you!
Welcome and congrats on your first post!
Please feel free to run your first search!
Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I have looked over that thread, searched this site and Google well before posting. I posted to see if I missed anything and to see if there well any other diagnostic tests considering the chemical test was negative.

I'm thinking of using the tester on the overflow while it bubbles at higher rpms. Any advice with that or anything else or did I make a mistake asking for help here?
Old 02-29-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Try the second test, ezone's. That dead giveaway.

Don't fall in denial. Mine was the gasket too, I just went and did it and don't regret.

In other words, read again, there's two testing methods in there.
First one (easier) showed symptoms? Go try the second.

That will be your proof.

Sorry, but your question about what you might be missing is to read again and find the second test, throw some real pressure there. It's there...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-29-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Try the second test, ezone's. That dead giveaway.

Don't fall in denial. Mine was the gasket too, I just went and did it and don't regret.
I saw that. Didnt think to do it since I saw bubbling in the overflow itself.

The only reason Im really questioning the HG is because the waterpump was just done, and it's the first time since Ive owned the car (since 58k miles, now 177k) that the cooling system was messed with.

I just found it odd this happened right after the waterpump was done. Im wondering if the pump can somehow be pushing the air into the system but somehow not leaking. The bubbling is RPM dependent but so is the waterpump.

I dont really have the money to do one. I dont have the experience either, but I dont have a choice haha. If it needs to be done it does, and ill do it myself, I just wanna be extra sure before I dive into it.

But yeah, the fact that the water pump was just done, and the chemical test coming up negative really makes me question if its the HG.

Im thinking if those are combustion gases bubbling in the overflow, the chemical test should definitely sniff those out if I test the overflow while someone holds the engine at 3k rpms right? Like it's actively producing co2 rapidly. If that turns out negative it has to be outside air?

Just want to see if my line of reasoning is sound.

Thank you for your response!
Old 02-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and the chemical test coming up negative
Many failures will easily pass that test.
Many of these head gasket failures will pass every check most people can think of.
If that turns out negative it has to be outside air?
The cooling system is a sealed system. Where do you think outside air could possibly enter?
Im wondering if the pump can somehow be pushing the air into the system but somehow not leaking.
No, it will not.
The bubbling is RPM dependent but so is the waterpump.
So is combustion pressure and quantity.

bubbling in the overflow
It's gotta be burping, boiling, or leaking combustion.

If you got 177k out of an original head gasket, you musta got a good one.
Old 02-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Many failures will easily pass that test.
Many of these head gasket failures will pass every check most people can think of.
The cooling system is a sealed system. Where do you think outside air could possibly enter?
No, it will not.
So is combustion pressure and quantity.

It's gotta be burping, boiling, or leaking combustion.

If you got 177k out of an original head gasket, you musta got a good one.
Alright. Guess I'll start weighing my options. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Prove the head gasket problem first before just tearing it apart.
It's always good to know what the issue really is and know where to look once it's apart.

The first video mentioned above was made by Scooty, and his evidence was proof enough there was a problem, his got a head gasket job. Not all are this easy to prove, most leak much slower in the beginning stages.

The 2nd video mentioned above is mine and narrows the issue down to individual cylinders instead of a general "it's leaking combustion somewhere".
The combustion chamber breach in my engine was proven on cylinders 1-3, in less than 10 minutes, the video was recorded in real time in a real shop.
Old 03-01-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Prove the head gasket problem first before just tearing it apart.
It's always good to know what the issue really is and know where to look once it's apart.

The first video mentioned above was made by Scooty, and his evidence was proof enough there was a problem, his got a head gasket job. Not all are this easy to prove, most leak much slower in the beginning stages.

The 2nd video mentioned above is mine and narrows the issue down to individual cylinders instead of a general "it's leaking combustion somewhere".
The combustion chamber breach in my engine was proven on cylinders 1-3, in less than 10 minutes, the video was recorded in real time in a real shop.
I didn't see your second video. I'll look again and see if I can verify. I already know its bubbling at higher rpm
Old 03-01-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Ahhh now I got it. If you suspected the water pump, yes, it makes more sense. But like ezone pointed, no, it will push coolant out, not air in.

Also, like he mentioned, with the second test (show that to your mechanic, so he tests it with his shop air pressure) and confirm it for sure.
Old 03-01-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Is it possible that he did not get it topped off and it may have not gotten hot enough for you catch it, it was the finial blow to the head gasket. These engines move a lot with heat expansion and it amazes me they hold up as long as they do. Know my 07 does not have a bleed. My older 2 did and were easy to bleed. I changed the 07 and was almost afraid to give it to the grandson fearing I did not get it full. And without Ezones funnel, it's a pain to make sure because ever time the thermostat opens slight, a slug comes out the top. And from the video, now I know even Honda mechanics ask him questions. However his buddy was not getting a lot of advice..