Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Got a list of things wrong with my car from the shop... Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xproof is an unknown quantity at this point
Got a list of things wrong with my car from the shop... Need advice.

Hi guys, my car knowledge is very basic and I just purchased a $5000 Civic VP (2005, 97k) and here's a list that my shop gave me when i had my oil changed:
-Oil Seeping from pump
-Both outter tie rod ends and ball joints dust boots are torn
-Drive belt is cracked and no timing belt sticker
-Power steering/Brake fluid failed analysis. Recommend fluid exchanges.
-Front Lower and Right Front transmission mounts are torn

Guy at the shop focused most on the timing belt sticker. Note that a Honda employee pointed out that I have an aftermarket timing belt so it must've been replaced at some point.

My question is, is there any of these that I should take care of immediately? I would like my car to last me many years. I plan on changing the power steering fluid my self at some point.

Last edited by xproof; 02-16-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Got a list of things wrong with my car from the shop... Need advice.

I would focus on the timing belt too. If there is any question as to when it was changed and also WHO changed it, get it done and USE OEM PARTS. Really, the Honda parts aren't overly expensive and it is worth the piece of mind. What the water pump and tensioner done too? Don't know? Do it! You can do it along with the timing belt. In fact, this is when you SHOULD do it.

Fluids are always good to change. If you can do the power steering fluid you can do the brake fluid too. There are DIYs here, search for them...

Tie rods and ball joints are the key to steering and thus safety. If a boot is torn, dirt and moisture will enter and eventually ruin them. They are cheap, so change them.

My list of decreasing importance would be:

TIMING BELT and drive belts
Tie rods and ball joints
Transmission mounts- auto civic trannies are bad enough, you don't want that thing bouncing around
Fluids
Oil pump-depends on how bad the leak is. Just check your oil level before trips if the leak is significant
Old 02-16-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Got a list of things wrong with my car from the shop... Need advice.

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
What the water pump and tensioner done too? Don't know? Do it! You can do it along with the timing belt. In fact, this is when you SHOULD do it.
If it's for peace of mind, I would do the head gasket too. 3/4 of the way there and they are famous for blowing out at around 100k miles or earlier. Both timing belt and head gasket could damage the engine, fairly dramatically.

Trans mounts - They can be done separately, but if you start hearing clunks in the front, they are likely a suspect, especially when launching. not safety related, but you could be left on the side of the road.

Tie rods, suspension parts - put something in there to leverage, and push around. If effort required, it's OK. If too much play, it's time to change. but yeah, safety related.