Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lurching/jerking problem. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lkd2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lurching/jerking problem. Please help!

Hello all. I have a 2004 Civic with about 90k miles on it. Last year it started jerking when I try to let off clutch and accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. First is worse than the others. Checked mtf and it was a tiny bit low. Drained it, put new in and ran it for a week. Then I drained it and put more in (Honda brand mtf). Then last week (one year later) it starts again. Tran fluid is fine so I take it in to dealer. Tech says it's the transmission bearing and wants to replace clutch and fly wheel while he's in there. $1800. Does this sound right? I don't hear any noise. It just jerks when trying to start off and when going into 2nd and 3rd. Jerking is slight at first but more I drive it during the day the worse it gets. Sometimes I have to really give it gas or not let off the clutch all the way to make it go. Jerking can get bad, like the whole car lurches a bit.

Thanks for any and all help!!!
Old 01-27-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Lurching/jerking problem. Please help!

I'd say save up and give her more gas until you can have er serviced.

Or learn how to pull the transmission your self, It's really not that hard.
Old 01-27-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what?!?

a brand new 2016 civic with problems?
Old 01-27-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Oh, wait, OP posted on the wrong section. This section is for 2016 civics, sorry, OP, your civic is a 7th gen, not a 10th generation. Moved!!!
Old 01-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Last year it started jerking when I try to let off clutch and accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. First is worse than the others.
Jerking?

Galloping? Shuddering? Lurching? Can you get more descriptive with this?

Motor/trans mounts shot?