Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What would you do with this oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015
200,000 and counting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough
What would you do with this oil leak?

Pretty sure that's a crankshaft seal leak. I know I should have replaced it when I did the timing belt a few months back...

It leaks about a teaspoon a day, but I really, really don't want to go back into the belly of the beast and pull the timing belt/crank bolt again.

Thoughts?

Name:  i2FOXoT.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  735.1 KB

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-08-2015 at 01:48 AM. Reason: made the image viewable in the thread
Old 06-06-2015
Registered!!

Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What would you do with this oil leak?

Originally Posted by thesushiboy

It leaks about a teaspoon a day,

Is it a teaspoon after you tried stop leak? If not try stop leak. If so The car is wounded it needs the Operation even stop leak is just a band-aid but can slow the process if your in a bad spot.
Old 06-06-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Put something under the car to catch the oil. Check oil level regularly, add when needed.

Replace seal when you can.
Old 06-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

could also be your cam seal, and the oil is running down,

an oil leak in the timing area is the worst place to have one,

eventually your timing belt will be covered with oil and it will spray it around everywhere under the cover,

an oil soaked timing belt can snap prematurely
Old 06-15-2015
Registered!!

tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine looked like that and when I got it apart there weren't any obvious leaks inside the timing compartment. I replaced all the seals anyway just because I was there. Even after I finished I still had a leak running on to the bottom of the pan. It was the vtec solenoid o-ring. I would suggest taking a good look at that first. It could also possibly be your oil pump o-ring. Check that if you get into the timing compartment and still don't see anything.