Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My transmission got rebuilt 10 months ago with a 1 year warranty. Messed up again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lapchern is an unknown quantity at this point
My transmission got rebuilt 10 months ago with a 1 year warranty. Messed up again.

So 10 months ago, I had my transmission rebuilt by the local shop with a 1 year warranty (the 2nd gear went to crap on my auto 2002). Fast forward to now, they say they are fixing it now and honoring the warranty. The transmission was on its way out (and shifting all kinds of funky and revving high when I wanted to go).

I ask them what's wrong and they said that they need to "replace the bearing." I'm skeptical/cynical because it's the exact same thing he said last time. Should there be a different question or concern I should bring up to him, or am I kind of at their mercy? I feel like the warranty's gonna be up soon, so I better get what I can out of this service.
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My transmission got rebuilt 10 months ago with a 1 year warranty. Messed up again

unfortunately in this case they are likely to do the bare minimum and basically put a band aid on it, to make it past the point of when your warranty expires, so they can basically "clean their hands" of any further problems,

ask them for a written report of the work they are going to do?

and a written bill of all the warranty work they are going to do? including a list of parts? ask them to describe "the bearing" in detail?

ask them why they just dont replace the tranny with a rebuilt? that is probably alot cheaper then tearing it down (they probably are not going to do that, but they will try to make you believe that)