Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 EX Catalytic Converter

Old 04-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
campj is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 2004 EX Catalytic Converter

So I have a 2004 civic EX 5-speed manual transmission sedan (1.7L). I have tried to keep up with maintenance for the most part but recently I failed to replace my air/fuel sensor (upstream) on time and it caused my catalytic converter to go bad before its time. So I'm looking to replace the converter (sensor has been replaced already).

However, I would really appreciate some opinions and hopefully some based on experience for an OEM replacement and an aftermarket replacement made by Evan Fischer model series:Eastern Catalytic.

Has anyone tried that brand for their exhaust system or at least other parts from that manufacturer? What has been the experience for you guys who have used aftermarket cats after replacing the OEM one?

My main concern is mostly to replace my old cat with the same or similar cat that will do the same job without causing any issues on my car. Of course, I would like to buy a reasonably priced cat as well. Btw, my Honda has 230k miles, in FL, and I'm looking to keep it until the end of 2015 at least.

Here are the links for references to the ones I saw:
Evan Fischer
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...EAST40399.html

Honda OEM
http://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda/ci...name=converter

Last edited by campj; 04-04-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: updating info
Old 04-05-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2004 EX Catalytic Converter

I don't have any experience with aftermarket converters, but if you are just looking to get to the end of the year, the Eastern Catalytic one will probably be fine. Maybe not for the next owner though.
Old 04-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the car have to pass an emissions test?
Do you care how long the replacement cat actually works and keeps the light off?

For customers that care, factory is first choice.
Second choice is California CARB certified

If they want cheap they can go somewhere else and be upset at those guys when it pops the CEL again in less than a year.

*Do not search for non fouler, it would be unlawful*
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Does the car have to pass an emissions test?
Do you care how long the replacement cat actually works and keeps the light off?

For customers that care, factory is first choice.
Second choice is California CARB certified

If they want cheap they can go somewhere else and be upset at those guys when it pops the CEL again in less than a year.

*Do not search for non fouler, it would be unlawful*
Plus with a defouler, you get an awful smell (if the cat is gone).
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

campj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the consideration on the next owner Poopies. I do want the cat to last for at least a few years since I'll be giving it away (instead of selling) this year or the next so I looked up a better quality Cat besides Eastern.

Ezone, thankfully it doesn't have to pass emissions test since there are none in florida, but that doesn't influence me to go for the minimum in quality thankfully. I would've definitely liked to have gone with the OEM part but it's just too expensive and in addition I would have to mail my old Cat back to the manufacturer so I can get refunded an additional charge of $150 on top of the $715. I'm sure shipping would be really expensive on a 4.5lb 4ft package.

Thanks for the input guys. I did give some thought to aftermarket as opposed to the OEM. So I decided to go for the highest quality Cat that Autozone had which was a Walker brand ultra direct fit. It is NY emissions ready. It also boasts a higher amount of wash coat (precious metals) than the standard Cat they had. Here is the link

http://www.autozone.com/emission-con..._751479_17487/

After doing a bit of research on the effectiveness of the materials inside (platinum, palladium, and rhodium). I realized that OEM is quoted to have enough to last about 8yrs or more and some of the aftermarkets only up to 3-5yrs or perhaps higher depending on the brand. The amount of wash coat (precious metals) inside an OEM is about 70~75grams. Aftermarket is about 40~45grams or more depending on brand. Hopefully this part will last close to or more than 5yrs, if not than I have the receipt and warranty on it, and it wasn't that expensive either $307 (I got a 20% discount on top of that too). It's being delivered this week.