Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Passenger Side Front Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j.squared is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger Side Front Brake Issue

Background:

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX with about 160k miles on it. Last summer the passenger side front caliper seized up. The brake was smoking a ton when I pulled over. It was probably dragging for a while while I was driving. Upon examination, the master cylinder on the caliper was corroded because the rubber boot was torn and let foreign debris in. I went ahead and replaced both front rotors, brake pads, and the rubber brake lines. I ordered the calipers from rock auto and they were remanufactured. They came pre-lubed and fully assembled but not loaded. I also completely flushed out the brake fluid in the entire system. I ensured that the system was properly bled. I have put about 8k miles on the car since then with no issues until yesterday.

Issue:
Yesterday, I noticed some odd behavior from the car including sluggishness and a slight pull to the right on the car. When I stopped at a light there was some heat coming off the passenger side front brake (it was freakin' cold yesterday so I could easily see the heat rising from that wheel) so I stopped for a while to let it cool down. After a bit the brake cooled down and the caliper retracted. I am going to pull the brake apart today and make sure everything is lubed properly and that the obscene amount of salt hasn't gummed up something. What else could it be that has gone wrong? There really isn't much left in the brake system that I didn't replace besides the master cylinder, the solid brake lines, the ABS, and a valve or two. Since it only affected one brake (the same brake as before and I do not believe much in coincidence), I wouldn't think it would be the valve or the master cylinder.

Any help or thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passenger Side Front Brake Issue

Since it only affected one brake (the same brake as before and I do not believe much in coincidence), I wouldn't think
Get it locked up or dragging and hot again.

Jack it up before it cools and releases on its own.

Open the bleeder and see if that allows the caliper to release. If it releases, it's a hydraulic problem that needs further investigation.

If it keeps dragging after opening the bleeder, it's not a hydraulic problem.
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Get it locked up or dragging and hot again.

Jack it up before it cools and releases on its own.

Open the bleeder and see if that allows the caliper to release. If it releases, it's a hydraulic problem that needs further investigation.

If it keeps dragging after opening the bleeder, it's not a hydraulic problem.
Thanks, EZone!

I tried but couldn't replicate the issue today. I should have more time to troubleshoot on Sat or Sun but it is going to be freakin' cold! lol
Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by j.squared
Thanks, EZone!

I tried but couldn't replicate the issue today. I should have more time to troubleshoot on Sat or Sun but it is going to be freakin' cold! lol

Still haven't been able to recreate the issue. I have a strong dislike for issues like this.
Old 02-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Cars know when they are being watched!
Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
LOL Cars know when they are being watched!
LOL. Isn't that the truth!