Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't rev past 4000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenmonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Car won't rev past 4000rpm

Heres the gist. I replaced the cat with the wrong kind. I needed a CARB Ca legal cat I replaced it with a 49 state BS cat. I don't have the time nor the money to put a new one quite yet, so I've been driving with the CEL on. Today my car won't rev past 4000rpms. Brought to O'reillys they pulled the P0420 and P1259. After I cleared the codes my car runs fine. What's going on?
Old 11-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't rev past 4000rpm

P1259
P1259 is why it wouldn't rev. Check the oil first. Low oil level is the #1 cause of the code.
I replaced it with a 49 state BS cat..... P0420
A cheapo cat is cheap for a reason. You probably already knew that though.
Old 11-06-2014
Registered!!

Would the fact that the CEL was on for hundreds of miles put the car into safe mode? WOuld that be the reason it wouldn't rev past 4000?
Old 11-06-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenmonster
Would the fact that the CEL was on for hundreds of miles put the car into safe mode? WOuld that be the reason it wouldn't rev past 4000?
The cat code can't make it go to limp mode.
The VTEC code is what did it.

Haven't you checked and refiled your oil level yet? How low was it?
Old 11-09-2014
Registered!!

Looks like the oil level was really low I'm going to fill it up and clear the codes and I will get back with you. Thank for your help. BTW if you had a CA emission civic how would you go about replacing your cat? I want to replace it but all the solid fixes are going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2014

how would you go about replacing your cat?
Unbolt the old, install the new.

if you had a CA emission civic
You have only 3 choices AFAIK to pass the Taxifornia emissions testing.

1) Factory
2) California CARB certified
3) Used original equipment (but I heard it may be unlawful to sell used cats)
Old 11-09-2014

Before you spend big money on a new cat......Fill the oil, clear the codes, see how long it takes to reset the cat code.

Check oil when you get gas, every time. Add oil when needed.
If you run out of oil, you get to pay yet another tax.
Old 11-09-2014
Registered!!

I've reset the cat code a few times. The interval of lapsed miles is usually about 10-15 miles before it comes back on. What does that have to do with anything though?
Old 11-09-2014

Didn't know it wasn't the first time you got a cat code. Sounds like yours is probably toast if it resets that quick

Sometimes it can take months before it resets after the first event.

Burning oil can contribute to shortened cat lifespan too.
Old 11-09-2014
Registered!!

Yeah I replaced the factory cat with a cheap ebay cat. I didn't think it mattered seeing as how I don't even live in CA, but my ECU thinks I do. Thanks for the help and the quick responses.
Old 11-09-2014

It takes a damn good quality cat to keep the computer happy no matter which version the car is.

I refuse to offer a 49 state cat to a customer, and I'm not even in Cali and we don't do emissions testing here at all.

The failure rate is far too high, and if a customer really wants to buy a cheap cat, they can go be pissed at some other shop when that cheapo fails and resets the P0420 code again in 6 months.....or 6 days.