Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start after making ticking noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonnierod is an unknown quantity at this point
Car won't start after making ticking noise when accelerating

I have a 2003 Honda Civic EX Sedan with about 148K.

I was driving home on the highway when I started hearing a ticking sound whenever I accelerated, but not when I was coasting. I was close to my exit so I was hoping to be able to get off the highway before pulling over, but it started getting louder as I drove. As I went to pull over the engine just stopped, like it had run out of gas. No noise or anything, didn't even realize it had stopped at first until I came to stop.

Looking at the engine I didn't see anything obviously wrong, but knowing I am overdue for an oil change I checked the oil. When I took the dipstick out there was white vapor coming from inside the engine. Dipstick was black and splattered. So I figured I ran out of oil, called a friend for a ride, got three quarts of oil, put it in, tried to start it.

I just heard like a click when I turned the ignition but it didn't turn over, like it was stuck. We tried jumping it, same thing. Just clicks, nothing turns over, everything is still. If I hold the key in the ignition position the gauges all go to zero, but then go back to regular as soon as I stop trying to start it.

Then my friend noticed that every time I tried turning it on there was smoke coming from the ground wire of the battery. It was very hot and the insulation appeared to have melted off the top of the wire.

I've recently been having some electrical issues. Sometimes when I would start my car the drive light would stay on even when it was in park, and there would be an intermittent clicking noise. When this happens the lock on the shifter that prevents you from putting the car in drive without your foot on the brake would click on and off rapidly. If I tried to drive it like this the transmission would not shift out of first gear and the engine would start chugging when I hit 4K RPM. If I turned the car off and started it again it would usually work just fine again.

My battery light has been on for some time, even though the battery is only two years old. I had taken it to my mechanic who replaced my alternator which was less than a year old (we replaced it under warranty). The car seemed to run fine after that except that in any gear the engine would chug if I hit 4K RPM and not go any faster, however now it would change gears just fine if I didn't accelerate too fast. The battery light remained on, however, and my mechanic has not yet been able to figure out why.

Since the ground is smoking whenever I try to start the car I'm wondering if a bad ground could be causing all these problems? Could simply replacing the ground allow it to start again? Or is this indicative of a more serious problem?
Old 09-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't start after making ticking noise when accelerating

except that in any gear the engine would chug if I hit 4K RPM and not go any faster
The battery light remained on,
intermittent clicking noise.
lock on the shifter...click on and off rapidly.
This selection of symptoms makes me think the alternator bolts had been left loose which was slowly ruining the engine computer.
Maybe this is a wrong assumption.....

I saw no mention that the check engine light has been on---probably for a really long time, also?
Probably has been setting a VTEC related code ever since the engine was about 2 quarts low of oil?

mechanic has not yet been able to figure out why.
Further inspection would have been necessary to confirm the suspicion above, but you needed a mechanic that is more capable and better informed than this one.

ticking sound whenever I accelerated, but not when I was coasting.
but it started getting louder as I drove.
the engine just stopped, like it had run out of gas. No noise or anything,
white vapor coming from inside the engine.
Dipstick was black and splattered.

heard like a click when I turned the ignition but it didn't turn over, like it was stuck.
I think the ticking was bearings starving for oil, and beating themselves to death. It sounds like it's locked up the engine now.

got three quarts of oil, put it in, tried to start it.
How low was the oil?
How full is the oil now that you added 3 quarts to it?

knowing I am overdue for an oil change
Just how long had it been overdue? Not that it matters now, it's way too late.

smoke coming from the ground wire of the battery. It was very hot and the insulation appeared to have melted off the top of the wire.
Because the engine is locked up and the starter cannot spin. The starter is now trying to consume every last bit of power the battery can give. It's acting like a dead short on the battery, which consumes all the amperage the battery and cables can possibly deliver, which makes heat and smoke.

Could simply replacing the ground allow it to start again?
Nope.
That ground cable is doing its job......... and that engine will never start again without a whole lot of money thrown at it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Or is this indicative of a more serious problem?
Yeah.

Bottom line: You get to pay "the tax" for not taking care of the car in a timely manner and fixing little problems before they get big.

It's gonna need an engine at the very least and maybe a PCM if this one is really toast as I suspected above.

Or, it's time for another car.

And learn to check oil level along with the rest of the fluids on a regular basis......or you may be buying more engines. Or cars.

Buying a quart of oil every so often is usually cheaper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I didn't see anyone else posting on this one, so I guess it was my turn.

Don't like that answer?
Prove me wrong.
Please.
I hate telling people they trashed their car....but that sounds to me like what you described.

Last edited by ezone; 09-20-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonnierod is an unknown quantity at this point

After three quarts it was about 3/4 full.
Old 09-19-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

The following users liked this post:
Turtlekingmaste (01-18-2021)
Old 09-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnierod
After three quarts it was about 3/4 full.
The engine only holds 3.5 quarts of oil. It's a goner.

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video) - YouTube

How apropos.
Old 09-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

sorry to point out the obvious again, but you are likely at fault for this,

checking your oil level on a regular basis is one of the most basic things, right up there with checking tires pressures, they should both be done on a regular basis, in my opinion every time you fill up your gas tank,

i can not even imagine how long it must have been since you have checked your oil level, even engines in the worst of conditions/shapes would take quite some time to consume 3 liters/quarts of oil,

live and learn i guess, take this as a very expensive lesson learned