Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Magnaflow Catalytic Converter causing restriction and weird exhaust note?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Magnaflow Catalytic Converter causing restriction and weird exhaust note?

Originally Posted by Thaik
By this do you mean the spring kit?
Because there's a spring kit connecting the exhaust manifold-cat to downpipe/resonator and another one bolting the latter to the muffler.
But that's probably not it.
Those joints are what I was talking about. The springs could compress as the pressure builds and the pipes try to push apart.

What do you mean by Hog? Is that a Harley Davidson motorcycle?
Harley Owners Group, that's what I got on Google.
What kinakoes said.

Here's my current girlfriend:

Name:  FPIEAeil.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  65.6 KB

^This loudass money sucking bitch needs another back tire real soon, might try a Michelin this time....

Also do you think it might be possible to see what's causing the restriction in the pipe by inserting snake camera like this one?
I got one of these sometime back....plugs in the laptop USB, comes in handy every once in a while and was a lot cheaper (and is really a lot less convenient) than your pic:

Tape it to a coathanger, bend it wherever you want it to go!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C00TG7684

I have to find an empty spot in the countryside without too many residences
Chicken! LOL
and also a parking spot to be able to jack the car up safely and away from traffic. So yes, I'll definitely do it.
All the cool kids do it!
Old 08-01-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Magnaflow Catalytic Converter causing restriction and weird exhaust note?

Originally Posted by ezone
Here's my current girlfriend:

^This loudass money sucking bitch needs another back tire real soon, might try a Michelin this time...

Metzeler makes some really great S/T and touring tires... Dunlops suck for mileage (they seem to square off in virtually one season sometimes, but their selling point is that you can find them almost anywhere). If you can find a Metzeler for that wheel size, I'd spend the slight premium to get them... even the S/T stuff wears like iron and handles really stable. Racing buddy had a '04 dresser and liked them a lot better than the Dunlops... think it's a ME880 or 888, can't remember...

And all modern H-Ds, like modern Ferraris or Porsches (they did consult in the engine design, after all ) require their owners accept a 'premium' maintenance budget. Much better than on a Shovelhead or Panhead... but still more money than a Wing.
Old 08-01-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Thaik
Damn, hope that's not the case, and if it is, whose fault is it and how can I prove it's not mine? smh
Well, first determine that it's indeed the case. Then, it's up to you to prove what's boogering up the cat is the same thing as the packing material they sent the part in.

Seems to me it'd be common sense to put a couple of bits of $0.001 tape over both ends of the cat/downpipe before shipping... and I'd think you'd hear about it if they were truly spacing not sealing the pipe from packing stuff, at least online... but we don't. So perhaps if you find that *is* the case, it's probably a new guy at the shop or someone got amnesia wanting to start their weekend.

If you didn't find any tape or foam plug seal over the open ends of the pipe when it got to you... that's a case you can make with MF to avoid future bronchitis with another desperate-for-SOME-power 7th-genner. But first shine a light through the substrate and make your case... may even be able to knock out some blockages with a straightened coat hanger* if you're lucky (ezone, is the substrate hella fragile, or is it more like stone?)... but you'll never get back that catalyzing surface, so the cat is less effective now... but it should flow better.

* do yourself a favor, and bend a little angle into the end of the long wire piece you're gonna poke into the cat, with a pair of pliers -- because if it falls in, it may not make it around the elbow at the engine side.
Old 08-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

(ezone, is the substrate hella fragile, or is it more like stone?)
I'd say.....Surprisingly easy to damage, yet surprisingly hard to extract.

If you damage the substrate, you can expect P0420.
If you start poking holes in it, you may as well gut it or put a test pipe on it.

But figure out what the real problem is before you go doing that. If the supposed clog is at the muffler, poking holes in the cat would be a waste of time and money.
Old 08-01-2014

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Metzeler makes some really great S/T and touring tires... Dunlops suck for mileage (they seem to square off in virtually one season sometimes, but their selling point is that you can find them almost anywhere).
This.
Seem to need one rear every 8k if I ride sanely. And a set of rear pads at the same time. Need both again.

If you can find a Metzeler for that wheel size, I'd spend the slight premium to get them... even the S/T stuff wears like iron and handles really stable. Racing buddy had a '04 dresser and liked them a lot better than the Dunlops... think it's a ME880 or 888, can't remember...
K. I'll look into it

And all modern H-Ds, like modern Ferraris or Porsches (they did consult in the engine design, after all )
I believe Porsche had a hand in the design of the VROD engine..... I haven't paid attention to who did the water cooled heads on the new touring bikes.

Mine is just 2 cylinders hacked off a radial airplane engine.

require their owners accept a 'premium' maintenance budget. Much better than on a Shovelhead or Panhead... but still more money than a Wing.
No doubt.
Old 08-01-2014

I believe Porsche had a hand in the design of the VROD engine..... I haven't paid attention to who did the water cooled heads on the new touring bikes. Mine is just 2 cylinders hacked off a radial airplane engine.
Yeah, the VRSCs were clean-sheeted by Porsche, then vetted and modified in-house by H-D. They're really just VR1000 racebike motors punched out and detuned for street use. But the TC88s were also consulted on with Porsche, one change being the addition of piston-underside oil jets.

Re: Metzelers -- their much softer and sportier S/T compound Roadtec Z6 tires, on my light SV650 but with my fat a$$ 225 lbs on it (back then) and being ridden and commuted hard (with frequent *very* hard) on near-track damping settings... would last almost two full seasons, including around the Oly Peninsula and 1000 mi rides to St. Helens. Total endorsement by this s/t junkie.
Old 08-01-2014

If you damage the substrate, you can expect P0420.
If you start poking holes in it, you may as well gut it or put a test pipe on it.

..poking holes in the cat would be a waste of time and money.
I didn't mean poke holes where there were none before... but clearing the straight-thru square passages of anything that might've melted there and blocked the honeycomb. As long as it's not as fragile as say, styrofoam or florist's foam... a straight wire probe could knock a passage clear safely, esp if the business end was sanded to knock down any sharp edges.

Looking at the broken substrate in the pic a few posts back... it looks like a coat hanger wire would easily fit through it, hence the advice. If it's done with care and not shadetree'd, it's a cheap, easy fix that wouldn't do any harm, plus greatly increasing flow (by the '1/2 radius = 16x flow resistance' rule, increasing effective ID by only 1/16 diameter would still double flow).
Old 08-01-2014

Not coat hanger size.
Think more like each square hole is maybe 1mm.
Old 08-01-2014

Old 08-02-2014

^Ah, gotcha -- yeah that's a no-go for a coat hanger...

Ah well. Hopefully the muffler is the culprit.

Seems like if that was the case though... just unbolting the joint after the resonator and letting it leak (maybe wedging a bit of wet wood to open it) should produce some improvement? Wouldn't take but a few hundred feet of running to figure out if it ran better or not, no danger of exhaust heating up anything but wet scrap wood.
Old 08-02-2014

just unbolting the joint after the resonator and letting it leak (maybe wedging a bit of wet wood to open it) should produce some improvement? Wouldn't take but a few hundred feet of running to figure out if it ran better or not,
I think he's scurred of getting arrested on a noise ordinance, or thinks his HOA would eject him straight out the hood.
Old 08-02-2014

^Not trivial matters, esp the HOA part (know some WA friends who've lived in Gestapo-ish conditions a la 'can only display US flag x by y size in this location' and 'exterior color is too gaudy, repaint it [was bluish grey]').

Thaik, if it's available to you, maybe find a big mall and a spot waaay away from the structure in the furthest parking spots? I used to work on my bike in this fashion in the early '90s when my Army post used to cordon off our lot for MSF training, or event equipment storage. As long as you're not drawing attention to yourself or making a big mess (and the golf cart/whoopee-light Ranger commandos aren't ******), seems the most convenient solution. Plus food and drink is nearby if you need a break.
Old 08-02-2014

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
^Not trivial matters, esp the HOA part (know some WA friends who've lived in Gestapo-ish conditions a la 'can only display US flag x by y size in this location' and 'exterior color is too gaudy, repaint it [was bluish grey]').
My little sister and her family live in one of those yuppie HOA areas where the houses all look exactly the same, with neatly manicured yards and Saturday AM synchronized mowing rituals....probably wearing helmets on the riding mowers.

I always get the feeling they cringe when this dirtbag rides the bike to visit. "When are you leaving?"