Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

shuts off while driving 2002 honda civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brianf2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb shuts off while driving 2002 honda civic

Hey i have a 2002 honda civic and while driving for 15-20 mins the check engine light will come on and the car will loser power/shut off. It is a standard. I have replaced the camshaft position sensor, main relay, and fuel pump to no success. It acts up quicker on hot days, but the whole car doesnt overheat( heat gauge stays normal temp). I have searched online for a long time/asked my mechanic friend and we are out of ideas. Anyone have any clue?
Old 06-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: shuts off while driving 2002 honda civic

What's the CEL code?

That would be a good place to start, get it scanned.
Old 06-06-2014
Registered!!

Brianf2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

the code came up for camshaft.. or crankshaft position sensor.. which i replaced. thats all the hard working folks at autozone could figure out. and when it dies and check engine light comes on, once it cools down the check engine light goes out again.
Old 05-05-2018
Registered!!

pannozzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brianf2014
the code came up for camshaft.. or crankshaft position sensor.. which i replaced. thats all the hard working folks at autozone could figure out. and when it dies and check engine light comes on, once it cools down the check engine light goes out again.

Did you find out what was the problem? I'm having the same problem and already replaced the crankshaft sensor, relay and ignition switch. No success so far.
Old 05-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

What is your code?
Old 05-07-2018
Registered!!

pannozzo is an unknown quantity at this point

P0336 Crankshaft position sensor that already was replaced. Also replaced main relays, fuel pump and ignition switch. Cheched every single fuse and connections.

Its still shutting off after 20 min driving with the air con on or when the weather is too hot, which I believe is because the radiator fan comes on and off more times.

Sometimes when starting the starter makes a noise, like when you turn the key when the car is running. But I am thinking this may be just a bad starter.
Old 05-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

P0336 CKP Sensor Circuit Intermittent Interruption

Reset PCM
Still got P0336? No - intermittent failure check poor connections or loose terminals at sensor and PCM
Yes - Check CKP sensor connector for resistance and if none replace sensor with OEM Honda sensor
Check the ground, an open or short in the circuit and finally replace PCM.

Did this happen after a timing belt service or work in that area of the sensor?