Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Acceleration issues at 4000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014
nathan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nightwish_989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Acceleration issues at 4000 RPM

I am having issues with my car not accelerating after 4000rpms. When I gun the engine hard to pass someone or even to go fast it revs out at 4000rpms. I have to let of the gas so the car will accelerate. No the car accelerates fine if i'm not at 4000rpms. Does anyone have a clue as of what this could be.
Old 03-16-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Acceleration issues at 4000 RPM

Do you have VTEC? Maybe the solenoid is clogged.
Old 03-17-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Does it throw a code? 4000 rpm cutoff is limp-home mode IIRC. I'd also check your coolant level.
Old 03-17-2014
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Vtec oil pressure switch.
Old 03-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EM2_K24A4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your vtec solenoid see if it's bad or clogged, if that's not the problem then your ecu went into limp mode and would need reflash
Old 03-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I am having issues with my car not accelerating after 4000rpms.
Year of car?
Model?
Body?
Trim level?
Your location?

it revs out at 4000rpms. I have to let of the gas so the car will accelerate.
So are you saying.... if you back off the gas pedal and accelerate gently, it will go above 4000 RPM?
That might not quite describe a VTEC issue....

What codes are in it?
What testing have you done?
Any other symptoms or issues?
Old 05-12-2014
04CivicEX2drCpeAutomagik

drmKLRZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I just experienced this last night. Car was driving fine. Check engine light comes on, try to accelerate and seems to hit a rev limiter at 4000 rpm, works fine under 4k rpm. Will check it out in the morning when I can get into the garage and out of the rain. Thanks for this post!
Old 05-12-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drmKLRZ
I just experienced this last night. Car was driving fine. Check engine light comes on, try to accelerate and seems to hit a rev limiter at 4000 rpm, works fine under 4k rpm. Will check it out in the morning when I can get into the garage and out of the rain. Thanks for this post!
P1259 VTEC code? Check and fill the engine oil.
Old 05-12-2014
04CivicEX2drCpeAutomagik

Originally Posted by ezone
P1259 VTEC code? Check and fill the engine oil.
Didn't get to check the code but checked the oil. 2 holes on the dip stick, top and bottom. oil level was BELOW the bottom! Mind you all, I have just picked this car up within the past few days. Blue 2004 Civic EX 2dr Coupe, 96k miles, Automagic! Had an A/C problem, power transistor was the culprit, thanks to this forum for helping me figure that out! Now this, and again, thank you to this forum and Ezone for helping me figure out the problem and fix!

UPDATE: Filled oil, reset ECU. Check engine light came back with same issue. Gonna check the vtech solenoid and pressure switch soon... gots to do dinner first.

Last edited by drmKLRZ; 05-12-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-13-2014
04CivicEX2drCpeAutomagik

Originally Posted by nightwish_989
I am having issues with my car not accelerating after 4000rpms. When I gun the engine hard to pass someone or even to go fast it revs out at 4000rpms. I have to let of the gas so the car will accelerate. No the car accelerates fine if i'm not at 4000rpms. Does anyone have a clue as of what this could be.

did you get the problem fixed? just wondering since you had started the thread. I'm also facing the same problem with my car. gonna work on it later.
Old 05-13-2014

UPDATE: Filled oil, reset ECU. Check engine light came back with same issue. Gonna check the vtech solenoid and pressure switch soon...
Not sure about where you are at, but I often see rodents that like to eat wiring here.
Old 05-13-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about where you are at, but I often see rodents that like to eat wiring here.
There was a period in the '90s when Mercedes-Benz used biodegradable insulation in its wiring harnesses, to more easily reclaim the copper -- in all of them. So after five years, systems on post-'92 W124s and W210s up to '96 are literally fire hazards, no matter how well you take care of it (short of replacing all wiring with pre-'92 or post-'96 harnesses).

The chewing by animals made headlines after Denver Int'l Airport had an attack of bunnies in its long-term parking -- turns out the ignition cables on post-'02 cars used a soy-based insulation which bun-bun loves like pecan pie.

Never saw so many rodents killing electrical, as I did in Seattle, though. They like the residual heat, so nest in airboxes... then eat filter elements as well anything they can choke down -- rubber, cork, plastic, insulation.
Old 05-13-2014

I was working in a Benz dealer when those harnesses first began falling apart. Fun fun.

Same problem wiring plagued 95-97 Contour/Mystique, there was a warranty extension on some of those.
Same again for some Mopar minivan engine harnesses, deteriorate from the heat.

I forget the year it began (I know you said 02 but it sure seems like it was earlier than that), most of the insulation on automotive wiring is soy based. I recall we suddenly started having serious rodent damage issues across all car lines that use it. Not so bad for cement area dwellers, but absolutely horrible for almost everyone else near dirt or a field.

Honda sells this stuff now:

....You can tell it must be good stuff, there is an "X" where the eyes should be!

Also available on Amazon
Honda 4019-2317 Tape, Rodent 19Mm 20M; 40192317 Made by Honda - Rodent Proof Tape - Amazon.com Honda 4019-2317 Tape, Rodent 19Mm 20M; 40192317 Made by Honda - Rodent Proof Tape - Amazon.com

Actually, the tough mice eat right through this stuff like candy.
Those must be the same mice that snort lines of d-CON like cocaine.

Not kidding:
Old 05-13-2014
04CivicEX2drCpeAutomagik

Took the V-Tec Solenoid off, all wires and connectors looked fine, cleaned the little screen filter, (wasn't dirty or anything but cleaned it anyway) made sure the piston in the solenoid was moving easily, it was, put 12v to the actuator and it clicked. Removed the oil pressure switch, cleaned it and gave a few good tappings, put everything back together, reset the ECU and went out for a test drive. Everything seems fine now, no light, no rev limit, got up to 90mph in a hurry but had to slow down as its peak traffic here in Hawaii from 11am - 7pm. If it happens again, atleast I'll know for sure its the oil pressure switch. Thanks again everyone for your help!
Old 05-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad it's working fine (for now :P)
Old 05-14-2014

Same problem wiring plagued 95-97 Contour/Mystique, there was a warranty extension on some of those.
Same again for some Mopar minivan engine harnesses, deteriorate from the heat.
IIRC, some articles about that Denver story specifically singled out Mopar sedans and minivans as being a target. Ford sure wasn't winning many fans with their Job One in the mid/late '90s...

I forget the year it began (I know you said 02 but it sure seems like it was earlier than that), most of the insulation on automotive wiring is soy based. I recall we suddenly started having serious rodent damage issues across all car lines that use it. Not so bad for cement area dwellers, but absolutely horrible for almost everyone else near dirt or a field.
I'd read about the M-B wiring issue since the late '90s but didn't know a similar problem with soy-based insulation and rodents existed until the Denver incident -- and if it's supplier-based, then man does it potentially make a lot of vehicles in rural areas unsafe -- imagine a short in tall grass under a truck or something.

Honda sells this stuff now:

Actually, the tough mice eat right through this stuff like candy.
Those must be the same mice that snort lines of d-CON like cocaine.
That is awesome. Got lucky with mice in my vehicle in my massive but derelict shed in WA... was always wondering if a big ol' wolf spider was gonna haul **** out of my SV's airbox after cracking it open overnight. Ended up using this peppermint-oil-based roach spray in the shed, which miraculously repelled both the mice and spiders (no more droppings after about a month's weekends of spraying)

Man do rats grow big in the country though, holy moly. Found a dead one in a Craigslist '03 CBR954RR a friend wanted me to check out with him back in '07... 8" long no tail. After I'd found that tucked next to the fairing on inspection (and nearly puked my guts up after it broke in half full of maggots trying to remove it)... we got that bike pretty cheap.
Old 03-27-2020
Registered!!

Dana Nelson is an unknown quantity at this point

did you get the problem fixed? just wondering since you had started the thread. I'm also facing the same problem with my car. gonna work on it later.
I have the same issue. 05 civic lx 4dr 1.7L
Old 03-28-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dana Nelson
I have the same issue. 05 civic lx 4dr 1.7L
The thread is 6 years old, start your own thread if you want help