Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

radiator, coolant, engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mimmie_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question radiator, coolant, engine light

2001 Honda Civic Ex
So awhile back, I had my oil changed at walmart and they told me that my radiator was leaking. When I got home, my dad said he didn't know from where because when we have it parked outside, it doesn't leave a puddle and i don't smell anything. The downside with my car is that it's hard to see how much coolant it has because the holder is behind the battery and we have to take that out in order to check (which is a lot of work). When I turn on my car, it seems like my antifreeze light stays on the C for a looooong time. Even if i heat up my car to drive and drive for about 15-30 min then slowly starts rising to the middle but never has it heated up. My car has been driving fine. no noise, no rattle, no nothing but i have to guess on how much coolant it needs and how much to put in it.
What should I do?
p.s. my engine light turned on and this summer we had to changed all four spark plugs so idk if we have to do that AGAIN ..
Old 12-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: radiator, coolant, engine light

I have a 2001 EX also and the coolant reservoir is partly hidden but I can see the fluid level and a flashlight helps. I'm curious if you use Honda antifreeze? Honda antifreeze is blue which makes it a little easier to see the level, some of the other brands are more yellow which would be harder to see.

Checking for coolant leaks if usually done by attaching a tester to the radiator where the cap goes and pressurizing the system and seeing if it holds pressure. A lot of parts stores loan tools so you could try a few calls and see if any loan a tester that works on a Civic.

I'm also curious what the outside temperature is that you can drive for 30 minutes before the engine reaches normal temperature. If the thermostat is working properly the engine should warm up long before that.
Old 12-05-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Plugs are good for 100k mile. Did you use NGK or Denso?

Your thermostat could be stuck open or not closing all the way, which would cause it to take a while to warm up. I have an 01 and just started getting a leak in my radiator. Take a look at the radiator, and look at where the metal part (fins) binds with the plastic outside. Look for any green to blue coloring to see if you can see a leak. My only leaks when it is warmed up and it is not dripping on the ground much.
Old 12-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes on the flashlight thing. Absolutely. And shake the reservoir to see the liquid move.

OP: Inspect the coolant level inside the radiator itself, not just the overflow bottle.

When Wallyworld said your radiator was leaking, did they merely see coolant that has dripped on the frame and plastic panels under the car? That's what happens when the head gasket is blown and pushes coolant out of the overflow bottle.

They SHOULD have pointed out exactly what they saw, so you can see it too.
Old 12-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

If the thermostat has been stuck open for a while and the engine doesn't warm up I would think it has been running rich. That may foul the plugs.