Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit -- Can't find TCI Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiquidArrogance is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit -- Can't find TCI Kit

I've got a little influx of cash coming in and wanting to do a preemptive rebuild on my transmission. It hesitates a lot and I know our gen is notorious for bad transmissions.

In researching the forums, this TCI kit seems to be the number one endorsed kit by gearbox and others; however, they don't seem to make it anymore and I can't find it in stock anywhere.

I'm wondering if there is another go-to best kit out there now?

Also, can anyone recommend a shop in the Bakersfield or Los Angeles area in California that would do a good job? From what I'm reading, getting it done right is arguably more important than what kit you use.

Thanks for any input! Like I said, I did do my research on past posts but a lot of the kit sourcing recommendations are outdated.
Old 11-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit -- Can't find TCI Kit

If you are going to send the rebuild job to be done by someone else, then let that shop source the parts if you expect any sort of warranty on their work.

If you source your own parts, don't expect a shop to warranty your parts failures.

HTH
Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you are going to send the rebuild job to be done by someone else, then let that shop source the parts if you expect any sort of warranty on their work.

If you source your own parts, don't expect a shop to warranty your parts failures.
Thanks for the feedback. Good point on the warranty.

That being said, do I just tell them that I want them to use "good" parts and I'm willing to pay extra if they do? I guess I'm wary of going in there and saying I'm will to pay a lot and then getting reamed on the price . . .
Old 11-30-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider a Honda dealer reman trans. Then you can be assured of the quality of the parts used, and if you have the dealer install that trans the warranty provided will be good at any Honda dealer in the country. Inquire at your dealer.

There are other national rebuilders too, but you might want to do your research before you choose that.

I've heard good things about H&A trans but never used them myself (unless they supply for the dealers, IDK if they rebuild for the dealers program or not) http://www.hnatrans.com/ (Rancho Cucamonga)

We (at the shop) have used Jasper......Once. 500 miles later it turned into twice, car was 3 states away. Had to wait a long time for the replacement (I think they had to rebuild the core we sent them). Wasn't a good experience for us. YMMV.

Your local trans shop might not be able to provide nationwide warranty unless they are members of ATRA. Check into that, I'm not sure of what is available these days.

HTH
Old 11-30-2013
Registered!!

Very good info. Thanks for the thorough response. I'll start researching!
Old 12-10-2013
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LiquidArrogance
Very good info. Thanks for the thorough response. I'll start researching!
I have gotten the dreaded P0740 code twice in the last two months. I really don't notice any drivability issues yet. In reading all the posts about this, I realize it is just a matter of time before it fails. I get a laugh out of the Honda diagnostics for this problem. Drain fluid. If you don't feel any debris in the fluid refill. If you feel debris then change transmission. I have done most all my own repair work except for transmissions. I have swapped them out and I did rebuild a manual trans on my Harley. I have watched some videos and read several posts and I think I am capable of the job. I am looking at several options. Buy junkyard trans and rebuild it, put junkyard trans in my car and rebuild the origional. Any recommendations on where to get the rebuild kit that has upgraded parts. I have fixed everything else on this car (recent head gasket) excellent compression, 30 mpg, so I think if I take care of this it could go another 100K. It is a 2001 ex coupe with auto with 144k. I have called some shops and they all say about $1500. What is a good price for the kit and a new torque converter. In other words how much to do a complete rebuild yourself? If I decide to pull a used transmission, what is the latest year and model of Hondas that would work in my car? Money is tight and I have the time so I might give it a try and I could check transmissions off my bucket list. Thanks

Ed
Old 12-10-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm a week late to the game, but synchrotech transmissions (synchrotech-transmissions.com) is based out of riverside. They deal with Honda/Acura racing transmissions as well as perform their own factory-spec refurbs. Try contacting them to see if they can do what you need.

Our own Maxtierney has dealt with them, too, and he said nothing but good things about them.

I took a look at their site a while back to see how much a "new" tranny from them would cost. Came out to about $900 shipped to Vegas for a tranny, and all you gotta do is call them to arrange a pickup of your old one. Hell of a lot cheaper than what my step-dad did with my Civic when I was deployed. Cost him $1200 for a shitty rebuild from a guy he's known forever (and I paid him back for it)
Old 12-10-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't yours 5 speed though?