Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D17A2 Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough
D17A2 Valve Cover

I am trying to replace my 2001 Ex D17A2 Valve cover. It seems to be delaminating and is in rough shape. I struck out at two u pull it yards and thought I got lucky at the third. Got it home and started to clean it up and found that it was damaged and cant use it. Anyway what other models use that cover? the Junk yards around here have been picked over pretty good. Will a D17A1 cover work? Found some on ebay but some say they won't fit my car. Read on line where the D17A2 was used from 2001 to 2005. Found an 05 cover but it said it would not fit my car.
Old 11-05-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17A2 Valve Cover

Go on majestic honda and compare part numbers. I'd believe 01-05 non-si valve covers are all the same, but part number comparisons will give you a more definitive answer
Old 11-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be delaminating and is in rough shape.
Sand it and paint it? Cheap!
Old 11-06-2013

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^ I know!

That was my first thought too. Seems like everyone does.

Explore your inner ricer here and paint it electric pink or something and simply close the hood so no one has to look at it.
Old 11-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sand it and paint it? Cheap!
That was my origional plan. While I was prepping it I noticed some funny damage. It has one spot that is chipped out and another along the sealing edge that looks like it is coming apart. In my other posts I am doing a head gasket replacement ( embarrassed by how long it is taking me). The condition of the valve cover makes me wonder if the engine was severely over heated. Had the head worked at a shop and they said it was in pretty good condition but I had it worked up anyway. Compression was good and the car ran good prior to the gasket change. It was just using a lot of water. I just wanted it to look good when I get it all buttoned up. I may have to use the origional cover until I can find a better one. I may be able to use some kind of epoxy filler and sand it down and paint it for now.

Ed
Old 11-06-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The condition of the valve cover makes me wonder if the engine was severely over heated.
Nope, that's not it IMO. The head would have been badly warped if that were the case, and I don't think I've ever seen V/C damage from an overheat event.
I'm guessing it's just aluminum oxidation/corrosion. Possibly from chemical cleaners?
Old 11-06-2013
Registered!!

Nope, that's not it IMO. The head would have been badly warped if that were the case, and I don't think I've ever seen V/C damage from an overheat event.
I'm guessing it's just aluminum oxidation/corrosion. Possibly from chemical cleaners?
That gives me a little more peace of mind. I will put a picture up when I get home tonight and clean it up
Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1
That gives me a little more peace of mind. I will put a picture up when I get home tonight and clean it up
Took some pictures last night but they washed out with the flash. Will try again later. Anyway I kept cleaning and used some paint stripper on it and it is starting to look usable. The damage it has is on the intake side so it won't show. Curious as to what caused the damage and will get some pictures for your comments when I can. It didn't leak before so I guess it will be okay.

Ed
Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1
Took some pictures last night but they washed out with the flash. Will try again later. Anyway I kept cleaning and used some paint stripper on it and it is starting to look usable. The damage it has is on the intake side so it won't show. Curious as to what caused the damage and will get some pictures for your comments when I can. It didn't leak before so I guess it will be okay.

Ed
I am going to try and post some pictures of my valve cover. I am still in the process of stripping the paint. I am just wondeing what would have caused the coved to split along its bottom edge and the small circular spot on the front. I think I can fill and sand as the damage does not go all the way through.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2013

I have no clue what it looked like before you started LOL.

I already guessed chemical cleaners.
Nicks in the original paint plus chemicals?

Salt/brine/calcium chloride/magnesium chloride road spray in the rust belt?

What color are you gonna paint it?
Old 11-07-2013

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

that looks exactly like someone hit it with a steel hammer
Old 11-07-2013
Registered!!

I have no clue what it looked like before you started LOL.

I already guessed chemical cleaners.
Nicks in the original paint plus chemicals?

Salt/brine/calcium chloride/magnesium chloride road spray in the rust belt?

What color are you gonna paint it?
I know it looks rough but I am not done stripping the paint yet. I am just trying to figure out how it is made. The bottom edge looks like pot metal and looks like it is coming apart. That crack does not go all the way through so I think it will be okay. It is along the back side so it wont show. The car is red so I may try red or it will go back to the grey/silver stock color.
Old 11-09-2013
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

I have an extra dx cover would be pretty cheap. Pm me if interested
Old 11-12-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by j_dock69
I have an extra dx cover would be pretty cheap. Pm me if interested
J dock,

I would have got it earlier but I worked on my old cover and it turned out pretty good. It took a lot of work though. Thanks anyway.

Ed