Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

is the rust on my 03 HX coupe worth fixing?

Old 11-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevecivic is an unknown quantity at this point
is the rust on my 03 HX coupe worth fixing?

I've got an 03 HX with 158,000 miles on it. Mechanically in decent shape and with an average care record. The clutch hasn't been replaced and sometimes you have to hold it in reverse so it doesn't pop out of gear. Everything else is in good working order. I put about 18,000 miles on it a year.

The thing is, I have a fair size rust hole in the rocker panel under the drivers door. The only other rust is a couple of spots on both rear wheel wells. I live in upper Michigan so there is salt used in the winter. As this will cost around a grand just for the rocker panel, is it worth fixing? or just run it until she dies? I hear you can get quite a few miles out of it but, I'm not sure how fast it will rust out.... I will say the gas mileage is incredible and the car is perfect for me with a 19 mile commute and as I have a truck for when it gets sloppy out.

Any insight would be quite welcome.
Old 11-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: is the rust on my 03 HX coupe worth fixing?

My experience is that once rust starts it is very hard to stop. The daily drivers I have worked on, the rust usually returns in about 2 to 3 years.

The bottom line is if any rust remains, even microscopic, it will return. To repair it correctly usually requires cutting out the rusted area and welding in new metal. I have tried sandblasting to clean metal and treating with chemicals and that seemed to work about half the time.

Since you live in an area with heavy salt your guy may have developed better methods and get better results. I would ask about any guarantee and specifically what it covers.
Old 11-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stevecivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjb3
My experience is that once rust starts it is very hard to stop. The daily drivers I have worked on, the rust usually returns in about 2 to 3 years.

The bottom line is if any rust remains, even microscopic, it will return. To repair it correctly usually requires cutting out the rusted area and welding in new metal. I have tried sandblasting to clean metal and treating with chemicals and that seemed to work about half the time.

Since you live in an area with heavy salt your guy may have developed better methods and get better results. I would ask about any guarantee and specifically what it covers.
He would be cutting out and replacing the whole panel. I agree that the rust will keep coming back if not done properly. The thing is, I'm wondering with that many miles, is it worth putting a grand into it. In 3 years I will have 200,000 miles on it, but it is a good commuter....
Old 11-06-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I guess you have to look at what the car is worth and if your $1000 is well spent on it. I had an older vehicle that I didn't want to give up on and in the end I pumped a bunch of money into it in the last couple years and realized later that I would have been further ahead to put the money in a 'new to me' vehicle.

My luck usually goes something like spend the $1000 on the bodywork then the engine blows type of thing.

Chances are if there's serious rust on one part there's more on other parts you may not be seeing at the moment. If you're doing the work so you don't get pulled off the road it may all be in vain. There are more DIY ways of doing it that will last 3 years and not cost $1000....they just might not look as good.