Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'02 Civic wont start- fuel related is suspected

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commuter_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 Civic wont start- fuel related is suspected

Civicforums is great and I am a big fan and a new member.

Civic '02 LX
280K miles
New Alternator, Battery, and Starter

I have spark, full tank of gas, and proper keys (not an immobolizing unit issue). Cranks but just won't turn over. It makes a sort of grinding sound like something is not catching. Flywheel?

The car was running fine early that day then wouldn't start later the same day. I suspect a fuel delivery related issue (fuel pump, etc.) but I don't know enough about it to try and diagnose (shamefully).

Any suggestions or resources that anyone can point me to? Any alternative solutions?
Old 07-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '02 Civic wont start- fuel related is suspected

You didn't give much to go on....Got any codes?

Maybe see if it has jumped time.
Old 07-28-2013
Registered!!

Sorry, I tried giving as much info. No codes but here is more:
When the key is in the third position (not trying to start it though) the engine light stays on for about 5 seconds then blinks 5 times before going off. The oil light is also on and stays on .

While I was in the car I noticed a small black unit that has two metal teeth on one end. I'm not sure if its a fuse but it looks like it might be related to the alarm system because it has the brand name and an on/off button but im not sure if its related or where it might have fallen from. It was on the floor of the drivers side. Maybe from the fuse box under the steering wheel? I have a manual transmission also and tried pumping the clutch to see if it was a clutch sensor issue, but no luck
Old 07-28-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Commuter_22
Sorry, I tried giving as much info. No codes but here is more: When the key is in the third position (not trying to start it though) the engine light stays on for about 5 seconds then blinks 5 times before going off.
Sounds like the PCM has not completed all of its OBD2 monitors yet. Recently cleared codes, or battery disconnected?
While I was in the car I noticed a small black unit that has two metal teeth on one end. I'm not sure if its a fuse but it looks like it might be related to the alarm system because it has the brand name and an on/off button but im not sure if its related or where it might have fallen from. It was on the floor of the drivers side. Maybe from the fuse box under the steering wheel?
Valet switch?

Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

Also, timing belt has never been changed to my knowledge.
Old 07-29-2013

Also, timing belt has never been changed to my knowledge.
Let me see here.....already covered:
Originally Posted by ezone
Maybe see if it has jumped time.
Old 07-29-2013
Registered!!

If it broke or jumped time while it was just sitting there, would this prevent it from starting?
Old 07-29-2013

If it broke or jumped time , would this prevent it from starting?
Absolutely.
while it was just sitting there
This didn't happen.