Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Inner tie rod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013
No amateur/no professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJ291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Inner tie rod replacement

My car is making a slight vibration in the steering that seems to be getting more pronounced. You'll have to take my word for it that it is not the tires, alignment, etc...been there done that. I've changed out a lot of stuff (feels like my entire suspension!) although my struts are coming due. I've got new LCA bushings, lower ball joints, stabilizer joints, outer tie rods, etc. However, when I did my outer tie-rods I wish I had purchased the tie-rod assembly from Majestic instead of just the tie-rod ends and done the inners as well. I have not done the inner tie rods and my question is this:

- Can you replace just the inner tie-rod or should I buy the entire tie-rod assembly?
- The service manual is somewhat silent on tie-rods (has lots on steering rack!). I see how to pull them from where they connect to the steering rack, but how do you get the actual inner tie-rod piece disconnected from the assembly?
- My struts are at about 70K...could they be causing the vibration?

I'm also investigating a leak in the steering rack at the steering wheel connection. I have to go to the stealership this Friday for a recall so I plan to ask them to investigate but I figure I will do this job regardless. All insights are greatly appreciated! 01 Civic LX, 160K btw