Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redbug2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Hello,

Can anyone comment on a reasonable timing belt kit? I see one on ebay for about $56 with free shipping. Seems really low on price. Just wondering if the quality is good enough for another 80k miles. Comes with water pump, seals, belts, idler pulley and spring. Seems too good to be true?

Kits range in price from the $56 on up.

Any recommendations? Kits I should stay away from?

Regards,

redbug2
Old 06-13-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Timing Belt Kit Quality?

Get 100% OEM, Honda parts are fairly priced.
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Not one to say OEM always, but wouldn't skimp on the T belt, its the difference between bent valves and not.... The aftermarket tensioners are junk the spring pulls through the eye. The OEM is good for somewhere North of 200k, if all else fails leave the OEM one there. The OEM tensioners as a general rule don't fail. The #s are too high to count of the aftermarket ones letting go..
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

jedema is an unknown quantity at this point

OEM. Just put OEM water pump, oil pump, tensioner, and belt on my 02. best piece of mind money can buy, and I'll still change it after 100K (well, probably not the water and for sure not the oil pump)
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

OK,

Just bought the CIVIC at an auto auction 117k miles. Purchased the Carfax, saw no record of the belt being changed so I'll have to get to it. Do I have to go to honda for OEM? Where is a good parts source for OEM?
Old 06-13-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Www.hondapartsunlimited.com

I've ordered from both. Ordering from the second link got to me faster simply because I'm only one state away.
Old 06-13-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

www.hondapartsnow.com
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

nobody can tell you the quality of this kit unless you specify the brand name of the parts,

the term "aftermarket" is too general, you can not group "ALL" aftermarket manufacturers into the same category,

there are very good high quality name brand aftermarket parts, and then there are aftermarket parts made in some country called Borat, in some guys back yard, get the point?

you need to specify exactly what brand the parts are that are included in this "kit" before anybody can give you any advice,

for somebody to say "ALL" aftermarket parts are crap is false, some are crap, others are very high quality,

keep in mind that some "aftermarket" companies make and produce OEM parts for many vehicles, as an example AISIN makes aftermarket parts for many vehicles, and they also make OEM parts for Toyota,
Old 06-13-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Understandably so. For me, it's the peace in mind of ordering genuine OEM parts
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

$109 Keenan Honda genuine OEM parts on Ebay(include p/s belt + A/C;alt belt); $80 for Belt Tensioner on CurryAcuraParts.com + Water Pump Gasket ($4)(free shipping) then Valve Cover Grommets(Beck Arnley) from RockAuto ($10) includes shipping. This is for 03 civic ex 4 dr car.
$109+($10 shipping) + $80 + $4 +$10 + Tax = $213 + Tax. Good deal for part OEM honda & part others. compared to non-oem on ebay including everything is $ 167+ Tax + Shipping.
Old 06-13-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbug2
ebay for about $56 with free shipping. Seems really low on price.

Seems too good to be true?

*ahem*

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot — it can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."
-John Ruskin
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

beastyben1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used this one on two vehicles: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AISIN-TKH-00...5812ff&vxp=mtr

Have 10K miles on each of the vehicles. For $112 kit includes:
Mitsuboshi TB
GMB tensioner
Honda spring
Cam/crank seals
VC gasket kit
Aisin Water pump

I was comfortable rolling the dice. Decide if you are willing to...
Old 06-13-2013
Registered!!

Hell Hound is an unknown quantity at this point

Only use Honda T-belts. i have been a Mech for 20 years the after market just will not last.
Old 06-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use anything but a honda tensioner. Honestly... I use OEM parts on anything that will take me longer than 20 minutes to dig up. If something fails inside the timing belt cover your into it for a big job. Why not just buy OEM and know your doing it right? If you want to save some money buy an aftermarket power steering belt, not timing belt.
Old 06-14-2013
Registered!!

Yes, I think I'm going OEM now.

I had a 1995 rodeo from new... Replaced belt every 60k. It made it over 240k when it dropped a valve due to fatigued valve spring... Looking back, I probably could have gone longer and not worried since it was not a zero tolerance engine.. Though, it never left me on the road dead. Actually maded it home when the valve dropped out, but that was the end.. I thought it was a loose tensioner.

With this civic being a zero tolerance I'm not going to mess around.

The first honda I worked on was a 1971 SL125 cycle back in about 77. Oil pump was shot and it bent the valves.... I've been there.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Regards,

redbug2.
Old 06-14-2013

With an order that large you can take advantage of the online pricing.

I appreciate Hondas fair pricing and always go oem (- my $8 each to your door cabin filters that is)
Old 06-14-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hondas fair pricing in the US is highly unfair in Canada unfortunately. Yet I still use a lot of OEM parts.
Old 06-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hell Hound
Only use Honda T-belts. i have been a Mech for 20 years the after market just will not last.
not true at all,

a relative of mine put 125,000 miles on a NAPA timing belt, when i changed the belt it still looked to be in good condition (no cracks between the teeth),

before i changed the belt i was not sure what brand was on there because it had been changed before at a shop, but the belt was in such good condition that i could still clearly read the NAPA logo/markings on it,

i am in no way recommending or endorsing the use of a NAPA belt, just throwing that fact out there,

also, honda do not make their own belts, just because a part is stamped with a honda logo, doesnt mean its made by honda....just sayin

Last edited by mikey1; 06-15-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2013
Whachya lookin at?

^ I hear that all the time... but trust me Honda has stricter quality control than most aftermarket parts manufacturers. Just because this company makes it and it comes out of the same factory as this aftermarket part here doesn't mean it's the same quality. Trust me, I work in a factory...
Old 11-02-2017
Registered!!

word5150 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always bought my kits from timingbeltkit.com. They ship 'em for free and the parts are always top quality. Bando belts, factory Honda tensioner, Aisin water pump, and Koyo bearings. They have never let me down.
Old 11-16-2017
Registered!!

Treedguy is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.gates.com/products/automo...ith-water-pump

I had good luck (100k) using Gates.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

word5150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seen a lot of bad reviews regarding Gates kits - poor quality Chinese parts. I've never tried Gates kits, and based on the number of negative reviews, I don't think I ever would.
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

I used OEM tensioner its the original since new car, and original water pump on it still till todays, .. I own the car since 3k and now has 315k miles. Original water pump, original tensioner, no it hasnt let go yet.. I use Duralast timing belt at Autozone which is Chinese 16 dollar lifetime warranty.. I replaced at 80,000 miles, but every year or two i check it for cracks.. It has holed up this Chinese Duralast for 100k before replacement..

Here is some true answer how long OEM tensioner and water pump last.. **** my tranny finnaly shows some issues before these parts fail.

I have the data to back it up how long those two parts last.. original and 315k miles, and nothing wrong with them..
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dsm482
I used OEM tensioner its the original since new car, and original water pump on it still till todays, .. I own the car since 3k and now has 315k miles.

I was anxious about not switching out my TB tensioner at 90k miles

I guess the dealer wasn't bullshitting me about very rarely having to replace OEM tensioners..
Old 11-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think they were good for 200k until I started seeing a few let go at a much lower mileage......
Now I recommend replacement at the 100k interval because it could fail before it reaches the next interval (200k).

Which is the more cost effective choice, an OEM tensioner pulley.......... or a tow truck and replacing a pile of valves? Are you a gambler?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
I used to think they were good for 200k until I started seeing a few let go at a much lower mileage......
Now I recommend replacement at the 100k interval because it could fail before it reaches the next interval (200k).

Which is the more cost effective choice, an OEM tensioner pulley.......... or a tow truck and replacing a pile of valves? Are you a gambler?
it hasnt let go yet.. but i do check it all the time.. the tension on the belt.

i busted my valves another way though, it was the cam bolt that came undone at 250k miles , and no one ever touched it since new.. so the cam gear came loose.. i guess i like to see how long my parts OEM last..
its still the original water pump and no issuess with that since new..I am clocking 315k miles..
how long does those last by your honda tech experience?

i might change the tensioner soon 315k buddy still rolling , my check up comes up soon.. will see after i take the cover off.

funny thing my tranny gave reverse up ( look at my other post ) before this failed.. tranny its a lot bigger job..
i dont have a cherry picker do you know how heavy it is to lift from the top.. 2/3 people we should be able to pick it up.
so i dont have to take the cradlle out. I still drive it, i just wonder how long it will last.. waiting for it to die completely..
Old 01-15-2018
Registered!!

Andym is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dsm482
it hasnt let go yet.. but i do check it all the time.. the tension on the belt.

i busted my valves another way though, it was the cam bolt that came undone at 250k miles , and no one ever touched it since new.. so the cam gear came loose.. i guess i like to see how long my parts OEM last..
its still the original water pump and no issuess with that since new..I am clocking 315k miles..
how long does those last by your honda tech experience?

i might change the tensioner soon 315k buddy still rolling , my check up comes up soon.. will see after i take the cover off.

funny thing my tranny gave reverse up ( look at my other post ) before this failed.. tranny its a lot bigger job..
i dont have a cherry picker do you know how heavy it is to lift from the top.. 2/3 people we should be able to pick it up.
so i dont have to take the cradlle out. I still drive it, i just wonder how long it will last.. waiting for it to die completely..
Hello there,
dsm482
My one and only car a 2005 Honda civic lx 4door, I own the car since I bought it new at the dealer and currently 113k miles on it. What's the exact year and model of your car?
Well, some of the problems I have experienced before on my car were the wheel bearing front passenger side at 30,000miles, engine mounts replacement at 70k, trouble with some piece of plastic that decayed that goes on the brake pedal causing the brake light stays on and running out of battery and other than that regular maintenances.
So right now I started getting noise on one of the front wheel bearings which I believe is on the front driver side this time, already ordered it a name brand NTN which I think is OEM. Now I finally decided to order the Timing belt replacement which already bought the Mitsuboshi Timing belt and the Aisin water pump, so I'm still missing the rest of the kit valve gaskets and tensioner. But now that I read your post I was wondering that maybe I should cancel the Water pump order and stick with the one already on for another 100k maybe? cause, to tell the truth, I wasn't even planning to change the Timing belt, cause I was going to let it on until the car stopped running but anyway now that I am on this I also want to fix the oil leak which I believe is the head gasket or something. I'm on a budget and want to spend the less possible but make sure the quality is the best. Can I get any suggestion on this?
by the way, my suspension is having problems which i believe have to do with ball joints, tie rods and those parts on the chassis, is there any specific part I should get to make the suspension part go on a little longer?
Old 01-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

you should replace the water pump but it sounds like you don't really care about the car..

if you have bad ball joints or tie rod ends, you should get those replaced as soon as possible before the part fails while you're driving and you kill somebody
Old 01-16-2018

Roll the dice......
Old 01-16-2018

At our shop we don't automatically replace water pump unless a customer requests it.
It gets checked for obvious leakage evidence and if okay it's left alone.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Kit Quality?