Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

E - Brake Light staying on.. started today

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
E - Brake Light staying on.. started today

I did some searching and didn't find much information on the 7th gen but my e brake light is staying on. I have an EX and also have ABS but I have a separate light for ABS... its the red e-brake light.

I have made sure my e brake is actually OFF, and plan to check the fluid level when I get out of class here in a bit, but im pretty sure that its fine... what else would cause it?

It actually went off when I was on the highway but as soon as I reduced speed off the highway < 60ish it went back on....

any insight where to start?
Old 04-29-2013
Zed
Registered!!

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: E - Brake Light staying on.. started today

Check your brake fluid level. If it's low, it could indicate that your brake pads are worn and dangerously low. Check those as well. If they're low, once they're replaced, you'll be good as gold again.
Old 04-29-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there's a mechanical switch that illuminates the e-brake light when it's engaged. Chances are its stuck shut.

I haven't messed with my e-brake in quite some time, much less pulled my center console off, so I can't tell you for sure, but that's my prognosis for the e-brake light.

As far as your ABS light, I'd check the fuse, first..
Old 04-30-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

did some work last night... looks like I have a hole in my reservoir.... I got an alignment yesterday and didn't have the issue when I dropped it off and when I picked it up it pisses brake fluid out of the reservoir.

I haven't been able to pull the master cylinder yet but the leak looks like someone drilled a small hole as it leaks out easily and fast.... if it was a crack or a busted seal it would drip not drain....

I am going to replace the master cylinder but why do I do about the shop... do I confront them if it is indeed a hole? would something else cause the hole? brakes are not something to **** with.... im pretty pissed off about this...
Old 04-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TFMEX
did some work last night... looks like I have a hole in my reservoir.... I got an alignment yesterday and didn't have the issue when I dropped it off and when I picked it up it pisses brake fluid out of the reservoir.

that is too much of a coincidence to me,

somebody f-ed up big time, take it back to the shop
Old 04-30-2013
CO&CA

I dont trust the shop to work on it... what else are they gonna **** with...
Old 04-30-2013
CO&CA

took it back to the shop.... they "don't believe" they did it... but will install the new cylinder and flush the system for free if i buy the part.

I just got off the phone with them again and they said it could have been the torch they used to heat up the tir rod end....

If it is indeed the torch that caused the issue, which i am 99% sure did, they will pay me for the part.

what a pain in the ***!
Old 04-30-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TFMEX
took it back to the shop.... they "don't believe" they did it... but will install the new cylinder and flush the system for free if i buy the part.

I just got off the phone with them again and they said it could have been the torch they used to heat up the tir rod end....

If it is indeed the torch that caused the issue, which i am 99% sure did, they will pay me for the part.

what a pain in the ***!
uuummm....why do they need to heat up a tie rod end?

for the love of god, get your car out of there ASAP, there is never any need to do that if you are using the proper tools
Old 04-30-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1
uuummm....why do they need to heat up a tie rod end?

for the love of god, get your car out of there ASAP, there is never any need to do that if you are using the proper tools
Some heat can't be avoided sometimes, but they should've had very little heat there (think welding tip on a torch set). Especially for that part.
Old 04-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Some heat can't be avoided sometimes, but they should've had very little heat there (think welding tip on a torch set). Especially for that part.
no i dont agree,

use a proper puller tool, no heat needed
Old 04-30-2013
CO&CA

they heated up the tie rod nut on the threads of the inner tie rod not the tie rod ends. because it was stuck....