Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rat ruined my fan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrStevie is an unknown quantity at this point
Rat ruined my fan!

So a rat got stuck to my radiator fan on the passenger side and ruined it. The fan spins off center and makes a horrible noise and vibration. Good news it, the car got revenge on the rat by decapitating it, pretty gross when I was cleaning it out though.

Is the passenger side fan the ac condenser fan or the radiator exhaust fan? And would I just be able to replace the fan blade or does it come as attached to the motor where i would need to buy the whole assembly?
Old 03-08-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rat ruined my fan!

I have a story about finding a LIVE RAT hiding in the middle of a V6 Odyssey engine......
----------------------------------------------------

Please give ALL the car information you can when you make a post like this.

I'm making a SWAG in the parts catalog here since I don't know the year, doors, country, or version of whatever car you have......
2001-2005 car? 4 door? LX? What?

Hondas "usual" configuration is: Condenser fan is in front of the engine, radiator fan is in front of the transmission.

If this was for a customer, I'd make the estimate for the motor and the fan blade, with the possibility of also needing the shroud:
The motor was held in a stalled position long enough to get overheated and MELT the center hub of the fan. This likely caused damage to the motor windings. Even if the motor still runs right now, it should be considered unreliable. I sure wouldn't want to chance overheating or trashing an engine ($$$$.$$) over the cost of a fan motor ($$$.$$).

You will probably want to get the 3 screws (3 of item #11) that hold the motor to the shroud (#4), and you may end up needing the whole shroud before you get those 3 screws OUT.
(I live in the rust belt. They do not come apart here without a fight, and sometimes the shroud gets damaged or melted -- a lot.)

Count the # of blades on YOUR fan to make sure you got the right one.
Looks like the condenser fan has only 4 blades on it, radiator fan has 5.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OR+%28DENSO%29

Quick glance looks like the rad. fan motor and fan blade fit most versions of 7th gens.

I'd take yours apart now, before trying to order parts, to see what all parts will be needed.
Local dealers here can usually get parts by the next day if they order before the deadline, so ask.

HTH
Old 03-08-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Mine failed on me a little over three years ago. I was tight on money and bought the one in the link below off amazon. This is if we're talking about a 7th gen. Yes, it's after market, but it's been there three years and still turns on and doesn't make any funny noises.

Amazon Amazon

If you go down where it says "9 new" you can get the one sold by amazon with free shipping for $53 or so. If you have the tools and ability to DIY it, then $53 isn't to bad.

OEM from the dealership is probably going to cost you $300 for parts plus labor.
Old 03-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I have a story about finding a LIVE RAT hiding in the middle of a V6 Odyssey engine......
----------------------------------------------------

Please give ALL the car information you can when you make a post like this.

I'm making a SWAG in the parts catalog here since I don't know the year, doors, country, or version of whatever car you have......
2001-2005 car? 4 door? LX? What?

Hondas "usual" configuration is: Condenser fan is in front of the engine, radiator fan is in front of the transmission.

If this was for a customer, I'd make the estimate for the motor and the fan blade, with the possibility of also needing the shroud:
The motor was held in a stalled position long enough to get overheated and MELT the center hub of the fan. This likely caused damage to the motor windings. Even if the motor still runs right now, it should be considered unreliable. I sure wouldn't want to chance overheating or trashing an engine ($$$$.$$) over the cost of a fan motor ($$$.$$).

You will probably want to get the 3 screws (3 of item #11) that hold the motor to the shroud (#4), and you may end up needing the whole shroud before you get those 3 screws OUT.
(I live in the rust belt. They do not come apart here without a fight, and sometimes the shroud gets damaged or melted -- a lot.)

Count the # of blades on YOUR fan to make sure you got the right one.
Looks like the condenser fan has only 4 blades on it, radiator fan has 5.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OR+%28DENSO%29

Quick glance looks like the rad. fan motor and fan blade fit most versions of 7th gens.

I'd take yours apart now, before trying to order parts, to see what all parts will be needed.
Local dealers here can usually get parts by the next day if they order before the deadline, so ask.

HTH
Thanks ezone, that was VERY informative! It's a 2004 lx coupe. I'll be trying to take it apart tomorrow to see what is wrong. Right now I have it unplugged and haven't had any heating issues, but it's been raining and in the 60-70's here in So Cal.

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Mine failed on me a little over three years ago. I was tight on money and bought the one in the link below off amazon. This is if we're talking about a 7th gen. Yes, it's after market, but it's been there three years and still turns on and doesn't make any funny noises.

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-600380-Rep...rds=TYC+600380

If you go down where it says "9 new" you can get the one sold by amazon with free shipping for $53 or so. If you have the tools and ability to DIY it, then $53 isn't to bad.

OEM from the dealership is probably going to cost you $300 for parts plus labor.
Thanks Matt! Depending on what's wrong, I may end up having to go that route.
Old 03-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Try local craigslist, eBay, Pick-n-Pull or here for nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

You're gonna have to remove the bumper, hood latch, upper radiator brackets and the radiator hose(s) to free the radiator and fan assemblies. It's all pretty straight forward. The bumper is held on by plastic body pins and a screw in each fender. You'll probably break a pin or 2 so, go get a box at the parts store. The latch and brackets are held on by bolts.
Old 03-09-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lazlong
You're gonna have to remove the bumper, hood latch, upper radiator brackets and the radiator hose(s) to free the radiator and fan assemblies. It's all pretty straight forward. The bumper is held on by plastic body pins and a screw in each fender. You'll probably break a pin or 2 so, go get a box at the parts store. The latch and brackets are held on by bolts.
Umm, I'm not sure which gen or fan you're referring too, but if it's a 7th gen radiator fan, all that doesn't need to happen.

You only have to remove the upper radiator hose, ground strap, battery/tray/holder and the reserve/overflow tank. I know this for a fact.

If you're talking about the condenser fan, I can see doing all that since it's a PITA to remove in my opinion.

Last edited by Matt_75; 03-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Try local craigslist, eBay, Pick-n-Pull or here for nationwide salvage listings: http://www.car-part.com/

Thanks for the site, I'll definitely start looking there for some of the more expensive oem parts

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Umm, I'm not sure which gen or fan you're referring too, but if it's a 7th gen radiator fan, all that doesn't need to happen.

You only have to remove the upper radiator hose, ground strap, battery/tray/holder and the reserve/overflow tank. I know this for a fact.

If you're talking about the condenser fan, I can see doing all that since it's a PITA to remove in my opinion.
Good to know, I'm pretty sure it's the radiator fan, not the condenser fan so that'll save me some work.