Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Engine noise

Alright, I hate posting car problems on the forum, so this goes to show how frustrated I am. I decided to try and investigate this intermittent sound I've noticed, did so after an oil change.

Got this nasty sound coming from my engine. Really only shows up at <10% throttle between 2000-3000rpm, and at 15-25% throttle from 3000-4000rpm

Tried to pinpoint the sound, and it seems like its coming from the bottom end, either cylinder 2 or 3.

Idle is smooth as its been as long as I can remember, no loss of power that I've noticed, no metal in the oil (unless I pull the oil pan and it proves me wrong), still burns a bit of oil, same as she has been for a while now.

Here's a (sideways) video for your listening pleasure
Old 03-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine noise

I'd say that it sounds like a loose (worn) rod bearing from here.
(With the disclaimer about this being a laptop, sounds consistent with lower end bearing noises, etc.)

Not real loud when the oil is cold, but gets much more noticeable as the oil gets hot?

Cancel each cylinder and repeat the revving to isolate and identify any that make significant differences, then pull the pan and rod cap(s) to confirm.
Old 03-03-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Kind of sounds like a thread that was started last year. See link below.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4621959
Old 03-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Kind of sounds like a thread that was started last year. See link below.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4621959
Yeah, that's the ticket. I was thinking of the disclaimers I was trying to write in this post https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4622142
Old 03-03-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking it was the same, really just posting to try and disprove my thoughts. Wishful thinking, is more like it
Old 03-03-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I've heard it for years now. Never gave it much thought until somebody brought it up in the rod knock thread.