Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

AC/Heater Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmtikhonoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Question AC/Heater Problems

Ok, ive searched this issue and couldnt come up with this particular problem/answer, i have a few ideas im going to poke around coming up but i would like to get further input so while im looking at everything i can get more possibilities to look at.

So the problem started happening about 5 days ago im driving a 01' civic ex manual transmission and my heater stopped working along with the ac, but after about 15 minutes of driving it would kick on, but starting this morning it doesn't kick on at all.

Its not just the heat, its the ac as well. Where im going to begin looking is at my thermostat, mabey its just not opening at all, but if it wasnt opening couldnt that cause overheated, and that still doesnt explain the ac not working as well. So would it be my fan motor bad? how would i check it? just check if power is going to the plug if there is check if its coming out? If its not that what could be my next area to begin looking.

AC/Heat is a big thing to me mainly because i commute about a hour each way to work, so without functioning ac/heat it would be uncomfortable.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-06-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: AC/Heater Problems

So your vehicle has over heated and you have no hot air when you have the heater on full? Have you checked your radiator/reserve tank level lately? Based on you vague description on the problem I would start searching for blown head gasket symptoms.
Old 02-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

When you say that the heat and A/C stopped working what do you mean? Is air coming out of the vents but is is not hot when the heat is on and not cold when the A/C is on or is there no air coming out of the vents?
Old 02-07-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like intermittent hvac blower fan imo.
Old 02-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW
Sounds like intermittent hvac blower fan imo.
Seconded.

OP needs to be observant and see what parts do or don't work, instead of just saying it's broke.
Old 02-07-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Seconded.

OP needs to be observant and see what parts do or don't work, instead of just saying it's broke.
After re-reading a few times I'm in agreement. Could be a blower motor issue or maybe the power transistor has some cracked solder joints. That's why it was maybe intermittent and then just stopped all together. Know way of knowing without proper power/resistance checks.
Old 02-07-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thus far, every power transistor I have seen in my bay bad was just dead. Completely dead.

I'd kick the fan motor and see if it starts working again. (OK, give it a diagnostic tap it with my hand.)
Proof.
Old 02-08-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Thus far, every power transistor I have seen in my bay bad was just dead. Completely dead.
On the 7th gens when people neglect the cabin filter the air flow is low enough the thermal cut off fuse on the transistor opens...the way you can tell if tco is open is watch the fan blades when you 1st turn the key to II with fan switch on, if tco open they will turn for a very short bit.

In your case it would not be worth all the extra work to replace the open tco...and luckily most Honda parts are fairly priced.
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmtikhonoff is an unknown quantity at this point

No my car did not over heat, im talking about the air coming out of my vents, i change my cabin filter about every 3 oil changes. To acsess to test the fan motor, this is right next to were the cab air filter would be correct? behind my glove conpartment?
Old 02-08-2013

Fan motor sticks out the bottom of the passengers side of the dash.

A few really basic pics, did not check if they are exact for your car, but they will be reasonably close to yours....

First one is definitely not where your resistor is, but the fan motor is in the same place.

Old 02-10-2013

What year ?