Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 diesel very loud creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throbscottle is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 diesel very loud creaking

Hi all

My civic has developed a very loud creaking/groaning noise coming from the front passenger (in UK, so is left) side suspension - it does it nearly all the time now except on a smooth road. I actually thought the front bumper was making the noise at first, when it started as an occasional creak in the summer, but I had a listen under the bonnet last week when lifting/pushing down on the wheel arch, and the noise can be heard coming from the top of the arch. The car's done about 110,000 miles now and fine in every other respect, and the handling doesn't seem to be affected. Doesn't seem to be any louder when cornering, it's mainly uneven roads that affect it - even more so than very bumpy roads.

I've read a few things in response to people with approximately the same problem - but no two answers seem to be the same!

Well, I hope someone can give me some pointers, I was worried it was the damper but doesn't look like it is (phew!) from what I've read so far. Space to do maintenance very limited as it's parked in the street, so I'm trying to get the best information I can before undoing anything...

TIA