Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing OPDS in 2001 Civic EX, HDS necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greeni70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing OPDS in 2001 Civic EX, HDS necessary?

I had my car diagnosed my the dealer after my SRS light was on here is what they told me: SRS light on; diagnosis revealed code 15-3 in Electronic Control Module; further diagnosis revealed a faulty OPDS sensor; sensor installed $514. Before I got the car, it had been sitting with a dead battery. Could it be as simple as the system needing to be reinitialized, or does it sound like I definitely need a new OPDS? Would Honda have tried reinitializing as part of their diagnosis, or does their reader specifically point to a bad OPDS without having to do that? Probably should've posted this earlier haha, but I've already ordered the OPDS and am just wondering if I should be able to install it and perhaps reset it with the paperclip trick, or if I'll need a Honda Diagnostic Scanner? I have tried resetting with the paperclip (currently with the suspected bad OPDS) with no luck. Does resetting with the paperclip yield the same results as using the scanner or does the HDS do much more as far as resetting/reinitializing the system?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing OPDS in 2001 Civic EX, HDS necessary?

Read here, bottom of the first page, titled
SRS DTC 15-3 Set by Electronic Interference:
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/th...moval_tool.pdf

Now read this one: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/fi...ns/A06-009.pdf

Warranty was extended to 10 years/157,500 miles. See if it may still be covered. Call the 1-800 customer assistance number and ask if your car is covered.

Even if the warranty doesn't apply to you, the instructions still do.

Page 3 explains what to do about the 15-3 code.
Follow all instructions carefully.
Make sure you know how to erase SRS codes manually.

The info also explains how to initialize the new OPDS unit.
(Page 5 says: Initializing the OPDS Unit: Manual Mode.....Be careful here. They are using the HDS to jumper the SCS terminals in the DLC. This can be done without the HDS scanner if you know what you are doing.)

Are you replacing the SENSOR (part of the upper seatback padding), or are you replacing the OPDS UNIT (control unit attached to the side of the seatback)???
Read that bulletin. The vast majority here only got the OPDS unit replaced, few seem to need the sensor.

HTH
Old 01-28-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the response and great info. I am replacing the OPDS unit. Should the paperclip trick essentially do the same as the manual initialization method, or is the HDS necessary to clear and initialize? I just found out that the driver's airbag inflator was recalled and hasn't been done, so I'm going to take it in for that. Was planning on installing the OPDS when it comes, and maybe they can just reset/reinitialize the SRS at the dealer for me when they install that.
Old 01-28-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greeni70
Thanks for the response and great info. I am replacing the OPDS unit. Should the paperclip trick essentially do the same as the manual initialization method,
What procedure are you calling "the paperclip trick"?

or is the HDS necessary to clear and initialize?
Easier, but not necessary. Manual initialization was explained in the bulletin linked earlier. (I did not look to see if the procedure for initialization is the same as clearing codes though.)

I just found out that the driver's airbag inflator was recalled and hasn't been done, so I'm going to take it in for that. Was planning on installing the OPDS when it comes, and maybe they can just reset/reinitialize the SRS at the dealer for me when they install that.

Connecting the scanner is not part of the recall, even if the SRS light was already on.

But for a fee, I'm sure they can.
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

The paperclip trick would seem to be the same procedure as the manual initialization, as you're just jumpering the two connections together.

I see in the second link (service bulletin 06-009) it states on page 4 that if the new OPDS unit has a new part number or higher replace OPDS sensor. The one that was installed read: 81334-sp5-a010-m1. Is this an original unit, or does it look like I may need to replace the sensor now as well (2001 Civic EX 2dr, cloth seats)? I tried to reset with the paperclip and had no luck, following the instructions carefully. I got the SRS light to blink twice, seemingly indicating that the OPDS was initialized. However I couldn't seem to clear the SRS DTCs with the next step.
Old 01-30-2013

2001%u201302 Civic 2-Dr:
P/N 81334-S5P-306,

If it doesn't have this new number, then you can assume it is original.
I have no way of knowing what was in there from the factory.
Catalog shows the new number.

The paperclip trick would seem to be the same procedure as the manual initialization, as you're just jumpering the two connections together.
Not quite. Initialization requires the SCS terminals be jumpered in the OBD2 port. Clearing codes does not.

Clearing codes manually is a huge PITA. I have done it a couple times in the past out of necessity and it wasn't fun.
Best thing I can tell you is to connect a momentary pushbutton switch to 2 wires that you can plug into the connector. Then just push the button instead of fumblefarking with trying to stuff a paperclip into the connector 20 damn times while laying on the floor with your head stuck up the dassh.

Create a fault code (buckle code is usually pretty easy), then try to erase it. This should let you know if you are doing it right.
Old 02-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

My car has this porblem for so long now..but my vin doenst fall under the recall..