Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine "tapping" at idle and slight knock at lower rpms.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Nate is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine "tapping" at idle and slight knock at lower rpms.

Hey everyone!

So first off for give me for not knowing anything about cars or hondas for that matter. Anyway I just purchased my first 2002 honda civic ex with 140000 miles. I REALY like the car! My question is at a cold start the engine knocks for about a minute then dissapears... is that normal? BUT even after the engine warms and is at operating temp the engine has a "tapping" noise at idle and a very slight knock (only audiable with the stero/ heat and AC off) when the vehicle is under a load of 2000-2300 rpm... So far ive had the timing belt/water pump changed, also the spark plugs and kept up on oil changes. is this normal idle symptoms for this car? any fixes or advice would be great!
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Engine "tapping" at idle and slight knock at lower rpms.

first check current oil levels to be safe
then just search tapping noise and you shall find valve lash or valve lash adjustment stuff, including how to adjust them.potentially they did not adjust them well

then afterwards, if the 1 min still takes long, come back
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply!
Now I've checked my oil levels and they are fine. I check them about once a week to be safe. I've looked into lash adjustment as you have suggested and it does sound like its coming from the top of the engine perhaps the risers? I'm not sure I'm no mechanic. So on that note I will take it in to the local shop and get a expert opinion. Also I looked into the service records of the car and there seems to be no note of ever having the valves adjusted in the vehicles life. Another thing I neglected to mention is that there is a motor mount that needs replacement.. Would that cause noise or anything noticeable?
Thanks!!!
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

motor mounts allow the engine to move more than usual, i heard mine during launch or backing the car, when parts of the engine would hit the chassis, so it was a "clunk" type sound. recommend changing anyway, takes more effort than the valve lash so maybe a shop is recommended
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

Okay thankyou I am taking the car into the shop tomorrow and I will let you know how things develop
Old 01-22-2013
Registered!!

So i took my vehicle to the honda dealership yesterday and they did the adjustment this morning. the engine seems a bit quiter. the one thing ive noticed is that when i rev the engine it sounds a bit smoother? and no clatter or tapping when reving. i still can hear the same tapping at idle but only with the AC and radio off (engine is at operating temp). Im wondering if the fact that its been -2 degrees out day has anything to do with it. Anyway the dealership called before the adjustment and said that everything seemed to sound normal with my car and after the adjustment they said the valves needed a bit of an adjustment, but nothing major. sooo guess everything is good now and maybee i need to stop being so paranoid about every little sound and enjoy my ride!
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Honda Nate
i need to stop being so paranoid about every little sound and enjoy my ride!
yes sounds like it....

a bit of tapping is normal.....generally speaking the valves should never really need adjustment unless your getting the head redone or replacing any valves....the adjustment is there because every valve is a slightly different length
Old 01-23-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Honda Nate
My question is at a cold start the engine knocks for about a minute then dissapears... is that normal?
My car does that in sub zero conditions. Ezone commented in another thread that it takes time for aluminum pistons expand from a cold start in sub zero temps causing that noise and that's normal for these cars.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Well thanks very much everyone who commented on this thread! I really appreciate all of your input and time!