Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Where to have head gasket replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orcus332 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where to have head gasket replaced

Hi everyone,
I suspect my car has a blown head gasket (which i can go into more detail if you'd like). I have a 2005 civic ex with 83k miles on it. I hear the timing belt and water pump should be replaced around 100k. I'm wondering if I should have my mechanic do both jobs at once to save money, or if you think there is really no cost savings vs doing them separate, and i can hold out longer before having the water pump and timing belt replaced?
Also, Any thoughts on if i should have the stealership do this, or call around to the local shops. I'm in Columbus, OH so lots of options.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to have head gasket replaced

Yes, do it now with the head gasket job.
You are at 7 years anyway, it is time for the timing belt job according to your manual.

IF I was the one doing the head gasket job, the extra labor to add a timing belt and water pump (according to the labor guide we use at work) would be a shade over an hour labor fee, plus the parts prices.

And don't call the place I work a stealership.
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the response. I won't go into details with why I'm not a fan of the dealership, so sorry if i offended you.

Anyone have an unbiased opinion if a local shop can/should do this vs the dealer? I know honda's often require "honda parts" so I'm not sure if it would be a problem having a non-dealership do the repairs. Any preference for one vs the other?
Old 01-14-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A broken car is extremely stressful for the car owner. But it is an everyday thing for me.

I am aware that many shops out there don't have stellar reputations and don't employ a full staff of top-gun talent. Dealer and independent are both guilty of this.
I know that not everyone has great experiences with car repair, in general. The place I work is guilty of this at times, I'm sure.
I've been in the business for over 25 years now, I know a lot about how and why it is the way it is.

This applies to both dealers AND independents.

Plenty of sharp techs work in dealers, and plenty of sharp techs work in independent shops.
Plenty of hacks work in both places too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I know all of us that wear a shop uniform may look the same to some people, but we all have differing abilities and talents. You probably don't want a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing hack to slam it together.

Choose someone competent that you are comfortable with and that you can trust.
----------------------------------------------------
Anyway.......

You can request factory parts be used if you wish.
Any respectable shop will honor that request.

Any experienced tech that is able and competent can do the job, it's not rocket science and it isn't any sort of exclusive "dealer only" work.

Attention to detail is certainly good.
Certs are good.
Reputation is good.
How they handle a mistake tells an awful lot about the business.

The wrong person can turn that engine into a paperweight.
Dealer or independent, the shop does not matter.
The person matters.

Choose wisely.

HTH?
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Is the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump something that needs to be OEM or can this be done with non-honda brand parts?
The reason I ask is that i've heard non-honda radiator caps and thermostats are notorious for not working properly. I'm wondering if the other parts I've listed are also notorious for not working if non OEM.
Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2013

There is a thread here somewhere that the general consensus is OEM is the preferred head gasket.

IMO, since all Honda engines will trash themselves badly ($$$$.$$) if the timing belt lets go, it behooves you to use the best parts you can get when it comes to timing components.....that includes the water pump since it is driven by the timing belt, and the correct coolant that protects and lubricates that pump.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.
Factory parts can be priceless.

Many factory parts really aren't much more expensive than aftermarket IMO. Especially if you know how to buy them.
Old 01-14-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I was searching the net and came across this....link below.

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...363/index.html

Do you have any opinion good or bad if this would prevent an HG failure if all other parts/systems were maintained properly?

For $90 plus shipping I would hope it would impervious to any driving habit.
Old 01-15-2013

IDK. The 7th gen is already MLS type.

Your call.

If I had to live with one of these, I'd be most interested in adapting TTY head bolts to it.
Old 01-15-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah. As you've said before TTY bolts would probably be the solution for the OEM HG as far as failures go.