Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

honda techs could NOT fix this what do i do?? "pmc"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boxinggsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
honda techs could NOT fix this what do i do?? "pmc"

2005 civic EX
i replaced the ignition cylinder cuz the key slot was broken BUT i replaced it with a 04 lx and i also put in the ecu from it so it would start right up...i drove to honda and swaped the lx ecu with the original ex ecu so they could flash the key to the ex ecu. They couldnt do it they said it needs "pmc to be registered". along with that the key wont come out until the neg batt terminal is removed....what do i do???

order a new key clyinder with ecu all from 05 ex same model and everything that way i dont need to get the key flashed?? is there anything i can do to bypass any of this
Old 12-05-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: honda techs could NOT fix this what do i do?? "pmc"

Well your first mistake was ordering the lx ecu, vtec wont function anymore....why dont you just have honda put in a new lock cylinder? Im sure they have something to duplicate it...just like how you can go to the dealership and have a key cut with just your vin number and proof of ownership
Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

i put the lx ecu just to drive to the dealership so they could flash the ex ecu i swaped at the dealership...i wouldve but they wanted 487 bucks for the part and i got ignition cyl, ecu, tail lights, door & trunck locks, trunck and gas tank cable all for 100 bucks
Old 12-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What was the ORIGINAL problem?
Key wouldn't go in the ignition?

I could have fixed that pretty easy......before you started chucking parts at it.
Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Why are you using two different ECUs? You do realise they are each for different motors.
Old 12-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What was the ORIGINAL problem?
Key wouldn't go in the ignition?

I could have fixed that pretty easy......before you started chucking parts at it.
original problem- any key would start the car up but the the key lock wouldnt go into 0 so it would kill the battery overnight....

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Why are you using two different ECUs? You do realise they are each for different motors.
i only hooked up the lx ecu so the car would start cuz with the original ecu it would not start so i couldnt drive it to honda to get the lx key flashed to my ex ecu (yes two diff motors, ex is vtec and o2 sens is diff)
now with the ex ecu in it wont start, so i put the lx ecu to drive to honda and swaped the lx ecu with ex one there but the guy couldnt flash the lx key to the ecu it kept saying pmc needs to be registered....so if i order another ignition cyl and the ecu to match it from a 05 auto ex then my car will run right correct?
Old 12-06-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

original problem- any key would start the car up but the the key lock wouldnt go into 0 so it would kill the battery overnight....

along with that the key wont come out until the neg batt terminal is removed....what do i do???
Does the shifter go all the way to Park and the P lights up on the dash?
Can you pull the shifter out of Park without putting your foot on the brake pedal?
Sounds like one of the switches under the shift lever isn't working for some reason.
Old 12-07-2012
Registered!!

Does the shifter go all the way to Park and the P lights up on the dash?
Can you pull the shifter out of Park without putting your foot on the brake pedal?
Sounds like one of the switches under the shift lever isn't working for some reason.
i can not pull the shifter out of park without my foot on brake. when i put the key in and push the brake it shifts smooth. also the p does light up on the dash im thinkn maybe i shrewd the shift lever on too tight or wrong. everything is conntected just right .....so thats fixed

now i just gotta figure out the ecu part now if i order another key cyl and the ecu to match it and its 05 auto 2dr ex will the car start right up since there both ex's?
i dont want to have to go to honda and have them flash the key to ecu hince why i'd order the exact same parts off my car
Old 12-07-2012

HOLD IT! Stop jacking with the PCM and the ignition, I really think those cannot solve your problem....

You have a real problem that needs fixed first:
the key wont come out until the neg batt terminal is removed
There is an electric solenoid on the bottom of the ignition lock (ignition interlock) that may be engaged because one of the microswitches under the shifter isn't allowing it to turn off.

Microswitch is attached to part #2 here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...+LEVER+%281%29

The microswitch is activated when you release the thumb button on the shifter handle when it is in Park. If the switch does not turn off, the solenoid under the ignition lock will not release and you can't turn the key to 0 position to remove it.

There are other components involved (MICU/Multiplex unit) in making the mess work right, but what I have seen most is something sticky (coffee, soda, etc.) got spilled at some point and now that it has dried out a bit, it gummed up the works around the shifter so now the itty bitty switch can't activate.

Does the car have any other odd electrical things going on that might lead to a MICU problem: Dome lights, power locks, keyless, A/C, etc?

Last edited by ezone; 12-07-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added linkypoo
Old 12-08-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Honestly Ezone is lying, theres no way to fix that...i think your best bet would be to crash it into a lake and try to collect insurance money ala bugatti owner-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJmB1F2mdE

Last edited by rjones7755; 12-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2012

Originally Posted by rjones7755
Honestly Ezone is lying, theres no way to fix that...i think your best bet would be to crash it into a lake and try to collect insurance money ala bugatti owner-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJmB1F2mdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodVVtqmbZE#t=2m15s

Running a Civic into the lake just wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as spectacular.

Cliff it.
Old 12-08-2012
Registered!!

well i took of all the paneling on the shifter consule and cleaned up the mess, and the key works now it comes out and turns to the zero position so thank god i got that fixed.. i took it for a drive and turned it on and off 5 times so far between last night and today and the key came out perfect and the battery hasnt shut off, i checked the electrical outlits and they were off as well so thats great news so the key part has been fixed thanks ezone for the diagram...

now what can i do to get a ex ecu back in? when i took the car to honda i connected the stock ex ecu and they said the pcm needed to be registered and they couldnt flash the key to it... so do i need to order another key clyinder from a ex with a matching ecu so i can drive it without the chck eng light on (the lx ecu doesnt allow me to run vtec/o2 sensor is diff)? If i got another ex ecu off the exact same 05 ex 2dr auto then it would run perfect with mine right since mine is a 05 ex 2 dr auto? ezone whats ur number?
Old 12-08-2012

Originally Posted by boxinggsxr
well i took of all the paneling on the shifter consule and cleaned up the mess, and the key works now it comes out and turns to the zero position so thank god i got that fixed.. i took it for a drive and turned it on and off 5 times so far between last night and today and the key came out perfect and the battery hasnt shut off, i checked the electrical outlits and they were off as well so thats great news so the key part has been fixed thanks ezone for the diagram...
Honestly, how much time, effort, and cash was wasted on this project so far (and more yet to come)....over a simple issue like spilled soda causing a switch to be stuck?

now what can i do to get a ex ecu back in? when i took the car to honda i connected the stock ex ecu and they said the pcm needed to be registered and they couldnt flash the key to it... so do i need to order another key clyinder from a ex with a matching ecu so i can drive it without the chck eng light on (the lx ecu doesnt allow me to run vtec/o2 sensor is diff)? If i got another ex ecu off the exact same 05 ex 2dr auto then it would run perfect with mine right since mine is a 05 ex 2 dr auto? ezone whats ur number?
I'm confuzzled.

The PCM, the keys, and the Immobilizer parts all have to match as a set.
If any item doesn't match, they have to be programmed to learn ID's before the engine is allowed to run.

IF the original PCM didn't get flashed (programmed) it should still recognize the original keys and immobilizer parts (the black receiver ring around the ignition key cylinder, it has a green connector IIRC).

Are all the original parts still in original condition? Reinstall them if so.
If not, then you will have to get the programming done yet again so all ID's match.

Here is the bulletin that explains some about the immobilizer system. Not sure how much info you can use from it though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8jzuf1zxmjh
Old 12-08-2012
Registered!!

Honestly, how much time, effort, and cash was wasted on this project so far (and more yet to come)....over a simple issue like spilled soda causing a switch to be stuck?

alot of time searching thats for sure, money not to much since i find decent deals well except for this car. its actually my wifes dd so thats why im trying to get it back up n running, since we just bought it a cpl months ago long story short a dealership sold us a pos.

I'm confuzzled.

The PCM, the keys, and the Immobilizer parts all have to match as a set.
If any item doesn't match, they have to be programmed to learn ID's before the engine is allowed to run.

IF the original PCM didn't get flashed (programmed) it should still recognize the original keys and immobilizer parts (the black receiver ring around the ignition key cylinder, it has a green connector IIRC).

Are all the original parts still in original condition? Reinstall them if so.
If not, then you will have to get the programming done yet again so all ID's match.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8jzuf1zxmjh
ha that would make sense and explain why it couldnt get flashed...i need to post a pic with numbers on the parts and maybe that will help explain everything ...so all i did was just install the lx key cylinder on the sterring column and took that to honda but when i swapd lx ecu to the ex to get the key flashed i didnt swap over the original immobilizer parts that are attached to the key cylinder i pulled of lx.

sooo then i'll have to order a whle new set then right? so that it can all match cuz if i swap over the ex immobilizer parts on the lx's key cyl then the key wont match the ecu then would they be able to flash that or will they get the pcm registration error

Last edited by boxinggsxr; 12-08-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2012

ha that would make sense and explain why it couldnt get flashed...i need to post a pic with numbers on the parts and maybe that will help explain everything ...so all i did was just install the lx key cylinder on the sterring column and took that to honda but when i swapd lx ecu to the ex to get the key flashed i didnt swap over the original immobilizer parts that are attached to the key cylinder i pulled of lx.

sooo then i'll have to order a whle new set then right? so that it can all match cuz if i swap over the ex immobilizer parts on the lx's key cyl then the key wont match the ecu then would they be able to flash that or will they get the pcm registration error
Part number labels won't do me any good when it comes to programming. That's all done with the scanner, and it only tells if the process didn't work after I try to do it.

I'd reconnect all of the original parts (hook up wires only to check it) and see if it will run.
Original lock assembly with original immobi parts on it, and original keys, original PCM.
If it will run, then bolt all those parts back on.

The ID of the chip inside the key must match the ID stored in the immobilizer control unit.
The PCM must be programmed to accept the unique immobilizer control unit ID as valid.
The programming process makes them (sort of) become a matched set.

HTH?
Old 12-08-2012

BTW some dealers are cheaper than others on the programming. Some might want over 100 McDoubles, some will take half of that.

Maybe you can negotiate since you were just there for the same thing last week?
Old 12-08-2012
Registered!!

Part number labels won't do me any good when it comes to programming. That's all done with the scanner, and it only tells if the process didn't work after I try to do it.

I'd reconnect all of the original parts (hook up wires only to check it) and see if it will run.
Original lock assembly with original immobi parts on it, and original keys, original PCM.
If it will run, then bolt all those parts back on.

The ID of the chip inside the key must match the ID stored in the immobilizer control unit.
The PCM must be programmed to accept the unique immobilizer control unit ID as valid.
The programming process makes them (sort of) become a matched set.
HTH?
ok heres some pics of what i got this is off the ex the original parts the key lock is broken thats what the whole problem is cuz any key fits in it and starts the car and when im driving it the keys will fall out the ignition but thte car stays on. thats why they said i have to replace the whole cylinder which doesnt make sense why they cant order just the part where the key goes in
Name:  IMG376.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  66.2 KB

i was wondering if i take off part 1,2,3,4,5 and put them on the lx cylinder shell then if it could work but the only thing is the key would be diff.
Name:  IMG375.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 12-08-2012

ok heres some pics of what i got this is off the ex the original parts the key lock is broken thats what the whole problem is cuz any key fits in it and starts the car and when im driving it the keys will fall out the ignition but thte car stays on. thats why they said i have to replace the whole cylinder which doesnt make sense why they cant order just the part where the key goes in

i was wondering if i take off part 1,2,3,4,5 and put them on the lx cylinder shell then if it could work but the only thing is the key would be diff.

Different key would still need programmed.

Heck, who cares if you can turn it with a screwdriver. The engine can't run unless the immobi saw a correctly programmed key.

Ok....

Ok, ummm, you are kinda screwed if your dealer doesn't have anyone capable of building one of those locks.

Honda only sells the steering column lock assembly complete with a pair of new keys, you can't buy any individual parts for the lock or its housing.
You can only buy the electronics and the ignition switch electric part separately.

The dealer SHOULD have a kit of tumblers that can be used to rekey the sidewinder locks.
But they need someone capable of doing the work......not all people can do it.
There are NO instructions from Honda for doing ignition locks. In fact, Honda frowns on it in the bulletin on rekeying the locks. They only tell us to retumble door lock cylinders. Someone has to think outside the box to fix an ignition lock.
I'm the only one in my dealer that does this work.

I would probably remove and strip just the cylinders out of both column locks.
Figure out what I need to swap in order to build a good cylinder. Yours looks like it is missing the shiny end cover from the cylinder. As long as the other lock has what I need, it should work.

Retumble the lock cylinder to fit the original key. New tumblers.
Reassemble, using the original immobi electronic parts.
Use with the original PCM.

You in the USA?
Would this be a good time to tell you to ship the locks to me? I would need a good original key, and the VIN of the car to get lock and key codes (again, USA only)... With a certified check for 120 American Dollars to cover tumbler parts, 2 breakaway bolts, taxes, and my work. Plus some money to cover shipping UPS.

Would only work if the original PCM and immobi and key can still make the car run.
Old 12-09-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Ezone...
yeh deserves another rep for figuring this one out... unfortunately i gave one not so long ago, so i can't
Old 12-09-2012

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Ezone...
yeh deserves another rep for figuring this one out... unfortunately i gave one not so long ago, so i can't
Thanks, yo.
Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

well talked to the main mechanic at honda he said theres no tumblers in the key lock which is why any key can start it up and why it falls out at random times when im driving, damn ezone i wish i had seen ur post before bro i had already ordered the whole ecu and key cyl online SGASJG:rjsg i couldve saved some money sending it to you
Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rjones7755
honestly ezone is lying, theres no way to fix that...i think your best bet would be to crash it into a lake and try to collect insurance money ala bugatti owner-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4njmb1f2mde

rofl
Old 12-12-2012

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
rofl
You're late to the party!