Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

cant seat cv axles

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xkillswitch56X is an unknown quantity at this point
cant seat cv axles

hi everyone, i know im probally just kicking a dead horse but heres the deal im installing a new clutch on my friends 02 honda civic ex i am at the point where the cv's need to go back in i have them in but theres a gap and i was told theres supposed to be absolotley 0 gap problem is i cant pull them out by hand so it seems like the lock ring is seated but the gap says otherwise ive tried pretty much everything trying to get them to go that last 1/8 inch but it's like there just isnt anything left i know that it takes some force to seat these sometimes but this is excessive it doesnt feel right.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Re: cant seat cv axles

no one? i know this question has been asked before becaus i read the threads but i could really use some extra input it would help immensly.
Old 12-03-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I have an auto trans. If they're locked in and aren't going to leak trans fluid you should be good to go. I've never heard there's not supposed to be any gap. I just put one in on my drivers side and it has about an 1/8 inch gap. I put a new seal on both sides. Passenger didn't have as much of a gap, but it was still there. I refilled trans with fluid and I have no leaks.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

well that woulda helped about a day ago haha i dont know whether or not there would be a diffrence from manual and auto but this confirms my suspision i guess ill just throw it together and put some fluid in and see if it leaks if not then ill bleed it and call it done then thanks for your input.
Old 12-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

There has to be a gap large enough to get the tip of a prybar in.
Otherwise, you would have never gotten it apart in the first place.

If the CV is locked in place by its snap ring, that's as far as it needs to go.
Old 12-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

How do you know its supposed to go in more?