Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Planning Transmission Job – Need Replacement Parts Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeroAlligator is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Planning Transmission Job – Need Replacement Parts Advice

Hi everybody!

I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX with a manual transmission.

I have three major jobs that I'm working on getting parts for at the moment and I'm looking for some advice on one of them. For some backstory, the three jobs I will be performing over the next month or so will be the replacement of a leaking head gasket (HG), a full timing belt maintenance/replacement job (these two will be done first and at the same time), and finally the replacement of a bad input shaft bearing (ISB.)

I have diagnosed the HG and ISB problems correctly and know that they are both faulty. The car has 117k on it. It is almost entirely stock, excepting cosmetics (lights and radio.)

I have a pretty good handle on the HG/timing belt job, but the transmission job has me pondering. From what I can gather, when I do the ISB job, I'm going to want to replace not only the ISB and oil seal, and throw out bearing (TOB.) I've also been told that now would be a good time to replace the clutch. Money is definitely an issue here (which is partly why I'm doing all this work myself.) I've found a good price on an OEM style clutch by Exedy,
I can stomach $90 for a new clutch I can stomach $90 for a new clutch
. I'm also planning on getting the flywheel resurfaced prior to putting everything back together.

I'm trying to determine if there are any other parts, seals, or bearings that I will want to replace when I have the transmission apart? I have an order that I'm adding to through HondaPartsCheap, and I'd like to only pull the trigger once (to save on shipping.) Other than the annoying ISB sound while driving, the clutch feels and shifts just fine.

Suggestions will be very welcome. Thank you all for your help.

Oh, and my primary experience here is wrenching on motorcycles, but though the magic of the internet and by reading all of the great DIY's here, I feel very confident about tackling these three jobs. I have all the sockets, wrenches, jacks and such that I believe I'll need to tackle these jobs in my residential garage; fingers crossed.

-Mark

And since I know that no one responds to threads without pictures, here is a kitty: