Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 EX - Cranks But Will Not Start - Stalled While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kurobaxkaito is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX - Cranks But Will Not Start - Stalled While Driving

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX AT and while driving down street, the car suddenly lost power and died out. I rolled the car to the side of the street and called AAA.

The AAA driver said it is a starter issue but it was still cranking. Anyways, the AAA driver banged the starter while I tried to start and it wasn't successful. In the end, he broke the starter and I was forced to replace it.

The problem is still the same and here is what I have done so far.

- Changed the starter
- Changed to new battery
- Checked most fuses (not relays)
- Listened for fuel pump (it seems to make a buzzing sound which should be good)
- Green Immobilizer key flashes and goes away (should be normal)
- Checked for spark (It's existent)

I removed what seemed like a fuel line to see if there will be fuel coming out but when I had my friend start the car, no fuel came out. Yet, the fuel pump does seem to prime up when the car is put on ACC position.

I have read that it may be the main relay but I wasn't able to remove the main relay and I am unsure how to test them either but I believe it is functioning since the fuel pump get's power.

What are some suggestions in finding out the issue? I have had a head gasket changed out recently due to overheating. Aside from that, I just did wheel bearings, ball joint, brakes, rotors, all the basic stuff that shouldn't mess with the engine.

Any suggestion will help and I will try everything and report back. I've read similar issues and tried all that I can try except for the relays.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 EX - Cranks But Will Not Start - Stalled While Driving

sounds like your timing belt might have snapped,

when you crank the engine does it sound like it cranks faster or sounds different than it normally does?

remove your oil filler cap, use a flashlight to look in there closely, have somebody else crank the engine over (try to start the car) while you look in the hole,

is the cam turning while the engine is cranking? you should see some type of motion/activity when looking in the oil filler hole, if there is no activity (nothing moving) your timing belt has snapped, if that is the case you are looking at very big $$$$ to repair the damage,

on a side note, i literally smacked my forehead with the palm of my hand when i read the AAA guy smacked your starter, how could a starter motor cause your engine to stop running?
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

We have in fact checked to make sure that the timing belt spins when we replaced the starter motor. I have a strong feeling that it is fuel related but I am not too sure where to start.
Old 11-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
on a side note, i literally smacked my forehead with the palm of my hand when i read the AAA guy smacked your starter, how could a starter motor cause your engine to stop running?
If he was any smarter, he wouldn't be driving a tow truck.....right?
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If he was any smarter, he wouldn't be driving a tow truck.....right?
so mean, lol. Anyways, I figured it might be fuel pump or fuel filter is clogged so I guess I'll be checking to see if there's anyway I can test the fuel pump.
Old 11-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kurobaxkaito
I guess I'll be checking to see if there's anyway I can test the fuel pump.
Test, don't guess.
Fuel pressure test.
No pressure does NOT mean the pump is bad.

True pump failures are extremely rare on Hondas. These are not GM products.
I can count on one hand all of the Honda fuel pumps I have replaced in the last 9 years that were true pump problems, and have several fingers left over.

removed what seemed like a fuel line to see if there will be fuel coming out but when I had my friend start the car, no fuel came out.
If there was no fuel in the line then it wasn't a fuel line.
Only one of the many lines carries liquid gasoline.
You'll have to actually find the correct line in order to test pressure, and have the correct adapters to connect a gauge to it for testing.

seem to prime up when the car is put on ACC position.
You mean the ON (or RUN) position. Nothing engine related operated in the ACC position.

Problem:
is a starter issue but it was still cranking.
So the starter and battery were perfectly good and cranking the engine, yet you
- Changed the starter
- Changed to new battery
SMDH. Now you have some cheapo starter of questionable quality from the discount parts store....waiting to strand you.

(Unless the word "cranking" means something different to you than it does to me....)