Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic LX: tranny drain and refill .. vs tranny flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seks is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic LX: tranny drain and refill .. vs tranny flush?

Just looking at my spreadsheet which I keep track of on maintenance. Back in June 17 2010 (146615 km), my car had a tranny fluid change (it was just a drain and refill i believed). I have it noted down that the next tranny fluid change would be 194615 kms or on June 17 2012.

What's the concensus regarding the cheaper drain and refill versus a full flush?
Old 10-31-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 Civic LX: tranny drain and refill .. vs tranny flush?

A drain and refill is the ONLY method Honda suggest.

A flush would multiple drain and refills.
Old 10-31-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flushing with chemicals and a machine is "strongly discouraged".
Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

drain and fill only
Old 11-07-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Multiple drain and fills will allow you to remove most of the old fluid. But keep in mind the law of diminishing returns...I think a drain and fill replaces 1/3 of the fluid.

Just as an example here are some iterations of drain and fill. Assuming capacity is 9 quarts. 3 quarts replaced every drain and fill (not sure if these numbers are accurate, YMMV) Assuming after each drain and fill the car is started and driven for a period of time thus a homogeneous mix of the transmission fluid is achieved.

1st D&F - 3 quarts new, 6 quarts old (easy as pie)
2nd D&F - 5 quarts new, 4 quarts old (removed 1 new quart and 2 old quarts, added 3 new quarts)
3rd D&F - 6.33 quarts new, 2.67 quarts old (removed 1.66 new quarts and 1.33 old quarts, added 3 new quarts)

I would stop here as it only gets worse in that you are removing more and more good fluid and less and less old fluid.

4th D&F - 7.22 quarts new, 1.78 quarts old (removed 2.11 new quarts and 0.89 old quarts, added 3 new quarts) ***You are beyond wasting money here***
Old 11-07-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i did 4 drain and fills when switching to different brand and it got most of the old stuff out. capacity is only 6 qts i believe so by the 4th drain and fill, you should only have less than 1/2 quart of old fluid left. you really only need to do that many drain/fills the first time. after that just do a single drain and fill each year to keep the fluid fresh.
Old 11-08-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i did 4 drain and fills when switching to different brand and it got most of the old stuff out. capacity is only 6 qts i believe so by the 4th drain and fill, you should only have less than 1/2 quart of old fluid left. you really only need to do that many drain/fills the first time. after that just do a single drain and fill each year to keep the fluid fresh.
Yeah, if you are drain-and-fill once a year.... one time should be enough.

Because I'm a dorky engineer, I busted out excel...and you are right. But notice, if you do just two, you have 75% new inventory.

Name:  VTIXJ.png
Views: 6
Size:  22.1 KB