Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cv joint/fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blantonmr is an unknown quantity at this point
Cv joint/fluid question

I just replaced the cv joint axle on my 02 civic ex automatic. While I had the axle out about 2 qts of fluid leaked out. However after I got the new axle replaced and all put back together, when I checked the transmission fluid it shows FULL on the stick. ???? I even drove around block and let it warm up and still shows full. Is there a seperate place that I add fluid to the transaxle or something?

thanks for all info,

Mike
Old 10-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cv joint/fluid question

1) How long did you leave the axle out? I don't lose hardly any fluid when replacing axles, but I don't leave it out for more than a couple minutes.
2) Could have been seriously overfilled.
3) There is only one hole to put fluid or the dipstick in.

Are you checking it immediately after shutting the engine off?

Overfilled: MANY people/mechanics try to check the ATF with the engine running, and that isn't right for a Honda. Honda is the only manufacturer I know of that has you check the ATF with the engine turned off.

Most Honda automatic transmissions will end up overfilled by up to a quart or so if someone adds fluid because it looked low with the engine running. Quickie Lubes are great for doing that.

HTH
Old 10-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blantonmr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
1) How long did you leave the axle out? I don't lose hardly any fluid when replacing axles, but I don't leave it out for more than a couple minutes.
2) Could have been seriously overfilled.
3) There is only one hole to put fluid or the dipstick in.

Are you checking it immediately after shutting the engine off?

Overfilled: MANY people/mechanics try to check the ATF with the engine running, and that isn't right for a Honda. Honda is the only manufacturer I know of that has you check the ATF with the engine turned off.

Most Honda automatic transmissions will end up overfilled by up to a quart or so if someone adds fluid because it looked low with the engine running. Quickie Lubes are great for doing that.

HTH
They had to order the axle so I left it open over night with a shop towel stuck in it to keep dirt out. However I think maybe the towel may have actually soaked it up and then dripped out over night. When I first removed the axle it was just barely dripping though.

I drove the car a few blocks cuz I couldn't get the fluid to show low just sitting there and when I came back home, I killed the engine and checked it and it still showed full on the dipstick. I'll double check using your directions tomorrow and see what I can find. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't another place to put fluid like 2 seperate compartments...one for transmission and one for transaxle etc.

I appreciate your help and thanks so much for replying to my problem/question!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-18-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'll double check using your directions tomorrow and
I didn't give you any directions.

I was trying to make sure you checked it with the engine NOT RUNNING (because so many don't know this).
It appears you did exactly that.

If the dipstick says it is full, it is full.