Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with this ticking

Old 10-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OpenClutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help with this ticking

Well I have this tick when you start off in first and a bit of second gear. This tick I thought was my header because it was cracked but I just got it welded and it definitely is better but still not gone. I don't hear it after 2nd gear. When I put in the clutch it goes away as well so therefore its not the engine. I'm not too knowledgeable with clutches and trannys so I did some research. Found it could be my throw out bearing? Or is it the clutch doin some weird stuff? It sounds like a valve tick like that kind of sound but it is not the valves or header. Also when the mechanic did my header (because I couldn't get the damn thing off) he put it up on the hoist and put it in gear and let it go and didn't hear the sound. So it's only when its on a load same with it being in neutral it won't make the sound. Let me know if you guys know anything.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help with this ticking

could be a clutch or tranny problem, impossible to advise without hearing it myself
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Hi, thanks for the reply and I have uploaded a video to try to show you the sound I'm talking about. [autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1316& transactionid=1349200721-667811880&posted_by=OpenClutch_www.civicforums.com &youtube_video_id=VrN8AvLR_8U[/autostream]

Also I saw some smoke come from under the header which is in the video, so it could be the header now. But when I took it for a test drive today i noticed that the ticking would stop randomly when I take off but quickly start again at 2800 rpm. That has only happened twice today tho for driving around for 2 hours. Maybe the header isn't sealed with the gasket properly? I did just tighten the bolts after driving while it was hot they were on tight.
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i was going to suggest that it could be an exhaust leak, but you said the noise stops when you push the clutch in, so that would tend to indicate a mechanical problem

i would start by doing a valve adjustment
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

But if the clutch was in and it stops it couldn't be valves because its under a load and they cant work harder than they are already. I will be eventually doing a head swap to the A1 version. So I will do it then. But I still don't have a idea for it I might start with a new header to eliminate it totally because no idea where that smoke is coming from. After the header is changed I think I'll look into the clutch or throw out bearing unless someone knows the solution. But thanks for the help so far mikey1!