Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Another P0335 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matthewGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Another P0335 Thread

After reading some of the other threads on this, I elected to start anew because my symptoms are somewhat different.

2003 Honda Civic Ex Coupe 5sp. All-stock except for the front bumper + fogs and (I think) the headlights. Car is at 150k-ish and I've had it for two years.

The back-story is that I was getting this code about a year ago and had my Honda-Certified Master Mechanic fix it for me for a few hundred bucks. I'm confident he used an OEM part. At that time we elected not to replace the timing belt because his opinion was that it had been replaced around it's 100k service. After the fix, it ran great until two weeks ago.

So on our way to FL two weeks ago we had a handful of misfires on the highway. I babied it and kept it around 65mph, 5th gear and it made it fine. We did almost no driving while we were down there for 10 days. Before we came back, I replaced the spark plugs and ran some Gumout Fuel Injector cleaner in it on an empty tank. I had also done an oil change, oil filter, air filter and cabin filters and fixed the poorly-wired fog light right before we made the first drive. It's about 450 miles each way.

So we made it home OK with maybe one or two misfires on the whole stretch. I really didn't baby it much because I thought the new sparks might have fixed it. Then on another drive yesterday it kicked again, I drove more gently and made the drive to my destination and back home. About 200 miles round.

And of course today going to work, it kicks as I turn out of my neighborhood. It finally threw a code to help me diagnose it, and man was I pissed that it's this P0335 again.

So my question to all of you is this: should I replace the Crank Position Sensor again or is it likely a symptom of something else? And other than a misaligned-by-a-tooth timing belt, what could that something else be?

I haven't got under the car yet, I probably will this afternoon. I have an idea of what to look for but I've never done a timing belt myself and don't yet know the procedure of getting to the CKP. I'm sure there's a guide on here somewhere and I'm feeling confident (engaging Wench, Bring My Wrench! mode). Any pointers and advise will be helpful.
Old 09-13-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another P0335 Thread

what is the engine light code?
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
what is the engine light code?
p0335
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

First things first, check the connector for looseness or bad terminals. Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Whoever did the timing belt at 100k probably pulled the water pump w/out protecting or elevating the CKP and coolant soaked the plug, now the terminals are corroded to hell.

If this is the case you would have to splice in a new plug.

Here's a timing belt DIY:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...t-diy-2-a.html
Old 09-13-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah coolant mess ups are very common way to destroy sensors in that area. also unless the guy worked at a dealer, i doubt he used an oem part. aftermarkets are way cheaper and the quality is terrible.
Old 09-14-2012
Registered!!

Yes, I have a multimeter, and I know how to use it. I'll start the tear-down tonight to see if/how corroded things are. I've read water-cooler thing elsewhere as well. I guess my worry is that it's not the sensor so much as the piece it connects to. Not sure if it's somehow in the engine block or something. I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the support and link, guys.
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Before you start tearing into it determine if it's a bad wire or ECM/PCM. You have a PM.