Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with p2646 and High Beams stuck on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnboat13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with p2646 and High Beams stuck on!

Okay, the p2646 code. It has persisted since getting the car, and just won't go away.

Here's what I've done; Checked the Vtec switch/solenoid assembly, by that I mean taken it off the block, cleaned it, took off the pressure sensor and used a compressor attachment and voltmeter to check for resistance changes, and it is working, took the solenoid itself off and triggered it with 12v, and that is working as well. Tried resetting the ECU, however the light came back on. Checked to make sure that the assembly was grounded, and it is. Changed the oil and filter, with the correct 5w20 oil. The light still comes back on after about 20 minutes of driving.

Now for the second part of this: The high beams are on in both the normal lights and high beam positions. There is a sound like a snapping/arcing/shock noise coming from underneath the hood every now and then.

I think the problems are related, maybe a loose connection or a grounding problem, but I could be wrong. Is there a connector that contains both of these things, or in the same portion of the harness? I checked everything that I could find this afternoon to make sure everything was plugged in, the only thing left is maybe the ECU, but I really didn't want to have to un-bury that.

Any help would be very much appreciated, and I can't get the CEL to stay off to save my life. I posted this in another forum but they didn't seem to have any insight. Thanks!

Last edited by johnboat13; 09-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with p2646 and High Beams stuck on!

What year is the car? USA? Canadian?

You took the VTEC valve off of the head, was there any debris caught in the screen?

P2646 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit Low Voltage

This is what the PCM saw to set the code:
When the VTEC solenoid valve is ON, the VTEC oil pressure switch remains ON.

Sounds like the switch did not change states when the VTEC system was activated, or was stuck.

I have seen an occasional car with intermittent, random sticking of the pressure switch. Very difficult to catch in the act. I have replaced a couple just on a guess, for no other likely cause was found at the time. No comebacks, so I must assume it solved the problem.
I can't say this is your problem, just that I have seen it.

Couple days ago, I replaced a stuck pressure switch on a '12 Civic with only 400 miles. But it was constantly stuck in the ON state.

HTH

Last edited by ezone; 09-08-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: YMM?
Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

My bad, details: 2004 USA EX.

I checked the screen, and there wasn't any debris in there really, although I cleaned that too and put it back. I picked up a couple extra of those switches from the junkyard, and did the test with the ohmmeter and compressor, and those responded similarly as the original one in the car. It's possible that all three are bad, but it seems unlikely if they all respond the same.

And you're right, really hard to get it to react consistently. I'm going to try to pop that last switch I have in and see how it goes, and if it still throws the code. It's hard though to justify purchasing a new one for $90 when all three of these seem to act in the same fashion.
Old 09-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did you happen to grab the entire VTEC valves, or just the switches?
If the solenoid or the valve stick and stop working, that would also cause problems.

The engine oil is full, right? Low oil level is probably the most common cause of VTEC codes. Can't keep sufficient oil pressure in the engine if the oil is low.

Did you do any oil pressure checks that are (should be) listed in the service manual? If the engine oil pressure is too low, the VTEC will be affected.

Service info says it needs at least 57 PSI @ 3000 RPM.

As far as the headlights, a good wiring diagram and some logical troubleshooting are going to be needed.

HTH
Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

Yup, pulled the whole assembly, and yup oil is full, triple checked that. Thanks for the spec, that will come in handy.

Is it typical for ECU's to go bad? I assume that's the next logical step to go after the oil pressure is checked.
Old 09-09-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johnboat13
Yup, pulled the whole assembly, and yup oil is full, triple checked that. Thanks for the spec, that will come in handy.

Is it typical for ECU's to go bad? I assume that's the next logical step to go after the oil pressure is checked.
Did you physically actuate the VTEC valve?

An entire VTEC assy is $146.

A VTEC oil pressure switch is $44 and a new ECU is $405.

Why would you even contemplate the ECU at this point given the information you've been provided?
Old 09-09-2012

Did you physically actuate the VTEC valve?
I can do this with the scantool (bi-directional controls) on some cars, I can do it manually on the rest of the cars with jumper wires.
I raise the RPM and activate the solenoid, I can hear the change in the sound of the engine as the valvetrain actuates, and at the same time I can watch the response of the pressure switch on the scanner or with a test light.

I can watch it all happen while driving, using the scanner.

Is it typical for ECU's to go bad?
Not in my area.

I assume that's the next logical step to go after the oil pressure is checked.
No, not logical, except to someone loading up the parts cannon.

For reference, here is a handy pic of a parts cannon:
Name:  Partscannonfire2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  36.6 KB
Note the red shirt and the label on the battery....

Test, don't guess. HTH

Old 09-09-2012
Registered!!

Hah, parts cannon. I was just curious if the ECUs would exhibit symptoms like this if they were bad, or the likelihood that they go bad. I don't intend on buying one, if I can't justify a $90 switch, a $400 ECU is out of the question.

I don't have a scantool, so to manually activate it, I can stay in neutral, raise the RPM to 5k+, and then actuate the solenoid with some jumper wires, yeah? And monitor the signal of the pressure switch with a voltmeter?
Old 09-09-2012

Hah, parts cannon.
It's one of my favorites.

I don't have a scantool,
You got a code reader?
Does it give freeze frame data?
What RPM, road speed (VSS), and coolant temp was the code set at?

so to manually activate it, I can stay in neutral, raise the RPM to 5k+, and then actuate the solenoid with some jumper wires, yeah? And monitor the signal of the pressure switch with a voltmeter?
Pretty much. 5k is a little high, try 3k or so. Apply power and ground to the solenoid, listen for the instant change in the engine sound (usually obvious unless you are deaf).
You could use an ohmmeter to check/monitor the pressure switch, it should change EVERY TIME the solenoid is activated. Actuate the solenoid about 100 times in a row, make sure the switch works each time. I think a light bulb on the pressure switch is much easier than a meter to see, that's why I said a test light.
I could even rig a couple of test lights up inside the car to watch the action while driving.

Since all I know about your car at this point is you have a code --with no supporting data-- I'm thinking the switch could be intermittent, meaning it didn't work one time out of several.
Heck, if the solenoid didn't work one time, that would give the same code too.
All the computer knows it that it did not see the switch change when it turned on the VTEC solenoid. YOU have to figure out why.
(Watching data on a scanner tells me if the computer saw the change too, a meter or a light can't tell you that info.)

Or maybe rodents chewed some wires? Big possibility here.

HTH?
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

No, no code reader, I only had it read by autozone/the honda dealer that looked at it.

And yeah, test light would be good. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out that it the switch doesn't register one of those times, where do you guys typically order parts from?

This will narrow it down anyways.
Old 09-10-2012

No, no code reader, I only had it read by autozone/the honda dealer that looked at it.
So what was the dealers recommendation?

where do you guys typically order parts from?
I work for a dealer, I use OEM on most things.