Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overcoming the Strut problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Overcoming the Strut problems!

There is a great how to article in the April 2002 edition of "Honda Tuning Magazine" with regards to strut problems and sagging backends.
I imagine that you could find the stuff on-line at hondatuningmagazine.com .
This is not something for the weak wrenched people, it involves alot trust me.

Hope this helps.

Mike in Ottawa
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

vtecharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you saying that there are things that can be done to avoid having leaky struts? I don't believe that unless you go inside the strut and rebuild it or repair it.
If the strut was not valved properly (too weak) to match the spring rates of the Civic's springs, then they will definitely go. You might be able to delay it, but they will eventually wear out prematurely. The problem seems to be internal with the struts.
I didn't know there are problems with sagging rear/backends though.. That could be because of a dozen reasons like control arm bushings, strut bushings, poorly designed or cheap springs that sag and don't maintain their conformity and elasticity, etc.
I need to read that article though before I make comments and critisize [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-03-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Harry : he's talking about the Koni strut and Eibach installation in the latest issue of Honda Tuning: strut install

... not about how you can avoid a leaking strut [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]. The car they were working on for the magazine just happened to have a sagging rear end (not sure why though).
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

vtecharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, I read the article. I guess the title of this topic is a little misleading..
Very informative article but definitely not for beginners because they skipped parts of the procedure plus many aligning tips when putting everything back. They also totally forgot to mention that there are bolts on top holding all this shocks in place [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] They concentrated on the bottom end..
These guys were lucky they had Eibach do the job for them so you know everything was done perfect with expensive precision machinery, etc. If only we can get that service around us [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]