Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 civic ac switch reversed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
canyonwalls is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 civic ac switch reversed

Hello To whom can help
I'm working on a 2002 honda civic. I put a timing belt and also charged the ac system. The problem I'm having now is when you press the ac button on the dash and the light comes on , the fans and the compressor goes off. You then press button so the light goes off (like your turning it off) the the fans go on and compressor starts working ,, blowing cold. It's as if the switch is reversed. I did noting under the dash..
Anybody ??????

Danny
Old 06-30-2012
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Re: 2002 civic ac switch reversed

Just pretend that the OFF position is ON just kidding. I'm not a guru, but I would go back and trace all wirings to make sure everything is where it should go/plugged. Have the AC button on OFF position, remove the NEGATIVE then POSITIVE cable from the battery, press brake pedal to discharge any power left. After a minute, reconnect the POS then NEG cable and see how it works...
Old 06-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canyonwalls
I'm working on a 2002 honda civic
This makes me think you don't own the car.

I suggest you ask the owner if the controls were already like this.

The work done should have no bearing on the problem described, unless you did something that I wouldn't have done.

(MAKE SURE you got the alternator bolts tight!!!)

I would suspect the HVAC controller as going bad, it seems to be a common issue although I haven't heard of this particular symptom before this post the other day:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4606805
it seems to have no resolution posted, nor helpful info.

remove the NEGATIVE then POSITIVE cable from the battery, press brake pedal to discharge any power left. After a minute, reconnect the POS then NEG cable and see
This describes a "reboot" of sorts, and could work since there is a microprocessor involved in the HVAC controller. Stranger things have happened.

If that reboot doesn't work, try with one of these:
Old 06-30-2012
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road

I believe those boots are made for walking, and that's what they'll do. But one of these days it may work on the switcharoo...
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

canyonwalls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello that is correct I don't own the car , working on it for a friend ,He said it worked normally . I'll try the neg , pos , then brake , yes stranger things have happened , is the hvac a expensive piece? They my have to then pretend off is on lolll , this is my first time posting thanks for the replys

Danny
Old 10-02-2012
Registered!!

curt248 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced the thermal regulator and now have the same issue. Any solutions ?

I disconnected both battery posts and hit the brakes a few times. I waited for about two minutes prior to hooking the battery back up up and the same problem.

When the Ac light is on the Ac is not working. When the light is off it starts working.

Last edited by curt248; 10-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.