Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda Civic 2001 won't accelerate after 20 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttttiiinna is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic 2001 won't accelerate after 20 mpg

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a Honda Civic Coupe 2001. It's a 4 cylinder: automatic.
I changed the spark plugs and did a tune up and now the car vibrates a lot, it feels/sounds like it will stall soon, and no matter how much I accelerate.. it will not go over 20 mpgs. I installed a new idle control valve but the problem persists.

It would be great to have some feedback of what I can do!

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic 2001 won't accelerate after 20 mpg

the car vibrates a lot, it feels/sounds like it will stall soon, and no matter how much I accelerate.. it will not go over 20
So.....exactly when did this problem start?

Did it start happening right after you did this

I changed the spark plugs and did a tune up
What are you calling a "tune up"?
What all parts did you touch?

Last edited by ezone; 06-22-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: I can't read.
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

I put in new spark plugs, did a oil and transmission changed, added new spark plug seals, and that was about it. I made sure to label all the ignition coil just in case I stuck it in the wrong place so that shouldn't be the problem. Thanks for you reply!
Old 06-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So....when did this problem start?

Got CEL codes?
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any chance that your car overheats? have you had a full fledge drain/fill with ATF. when was the last fuel filter change? it comes with a strainer that also needs replacement. Also, Fuel Pressure Regulator needs a very thorough cleaning. I hve a 03 civic ex and its got exactly the same problem. (the car vibrates a lot, it feels/sounds like it will stall soon, and no matter how much I accelerate.. it will not go over 20 mpgs. Mine on freeways does not exceeed 40mph). I push down the pedal and pull back and push back again the pedal and it does go beyond 40mph sometimes. It depends if i have driven over 50+ mi on a very hot afternoon.
I had IAC valve cleaned but not replaced, spark plugs changed map sensor cleaned & replaced needs a thorough throttle body cleanup with EGR valve as well.
If all this doesn't change anything i then move to change both upstream & downstream Oxygen sensors.
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

My car 03 civic ex does not accelerate anymore even after all the work on fuel filter, o2 sensors and cleaning on IAC valve/throttlebody/egr valve/map sensors is done.

What would stop acceleration?? spark plugs, head gasket transmission issues???? overheating.
Old 06-23-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by palsana
What would stop acceleration??
Do you have a CEL?

If your car is an EX, as you mentioned, VTEC not working properly will put the car in a governing mode to prevent damage to the engine. This means only allowing the car to accelerate up to 3,000 RPM I believe. I'm not a 100% on that.

Have you done proper oil changes on the car over the years?

Passages in the VTEC solenoid could be restricted or blocked all together. VTEC also has it's own oil pressure switch as well. It also has a small screen filter assembly as well.

Below is a drawing of the VTEC cylinder head. Piece 9 is the VTEC assembly and 10 and 12 are the filter and pressure switch.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...EAD+%28VTEC%29
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

I am getting the following CEL Codes on my 2003 Honda Civic EX Sedan
P1129 (Map Higher than Expected)
P0730 (Faulty Shift Control Problem)
P0505 (IAC circuit condition higher/lower than expected)
(Vaccum Leak On Engine, Dirtry Throttle Body, IAC motor defective, Poor Electrical connection to the IAC valve)
P0141 (HO2S12 heater condition Bank1 Sensor 2).

Very regular & particular about getting oil changes every 2500 mi. Never to exceed 3000mi.
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

Hey guys!

Thanks for responding. I couldn't figure out the issue so I had a mechanic come over and look at it. It turns out that the "Top Dead Center" aka camshaft position sensor was the problem. The car doesn't vibrate anymore and it drives like normal again.
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

DoogieMD9911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by palsana
Is there any chance that your car overheats? have you had a full fledge drain/fill with ATF. when was the last fuel filter change? it comes with a strainer that also needs replacement. Also, Fuel Pressure Regulator needs a very thorough cleaning. I hve a 03 civic ex and its got exactly the same problem. (the car vibrates a lot, it feels/sounds like it will stall soon, and no matter how much I accelerate.. it will not go over 20 mpgs. Mine on freeways does not exceeed 40mph). I push down the pedal and pull back and push back again the pedal and it does go beyond 40mph sometimes. It depends if i have driven over 50+ mi on a very hot afternoon.
We are seeing exactly the same behavior on our 2002 Honda Civic LX coupe. On hot days, after 50+ miles, it seems like the engine can't get enough power to accelerate past 20 mph or so.

We had the timing belt (+water pump + tensioner + blah) replaced, and that obviously didn't fix anything...

I saw the OP replaced the camshaft position sensor -- is that the same resolution for the above poster?
Old 06-30-2012
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road

How did the routine tune up messed with the TDC sensor? Did the OP had the car running while the sensor was out? Replaced it after the ECU was on the limp mode?
Old 07-12-2012
Registered!!

My car 03 civic ex does not accelerate anymore. WIRING TO MAP SENSOR, VALVE COVER GASKET & BROKEN MOTOR-MOUNT REPLACED.

What would stop acceleration?? spark plugs, head gasket transmission issues???? overheating.
Old 07-12-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ttttiiinna
Hey guys,

I just recently bought a Honda Civic Coupe 2001. It's a 4 cylinder: automatic.
I changed the spark plugs and did a tune up and now the car vibrates a lot, it feels/sounds like it will stall soon, and no matter how much I accelerate.. it will not go over 20 mpgs. I installed a new idle control valve but the problem persists.

It would be great to have some feedback of what I can do!

Thanks!
sounds like a bad spark plug to me
or bad gap
Old 07-13-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if all you can get is 20 MPG, you accelerating too much...
Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

Wedgeworth10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have an 2001 Honda civic ex on hot days car will out of the blue start not wanting to accelerate over 40 mph let it cool down and runs fine