Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What is this thing infront of my radiator? Do I need to replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clmlo is an unknown quantity at this point
What is this thing infront of my radiator? Do I need to replace it?

Hi, I got an 2003 Acura EL. Had the car very first day from Dealer... and it is almost 10 years old.

I notices today something fell off from my radiator... it is like heat sink... 2 to 3 rolls of this stuffs already gone....

But if you look closer it isn't my radiator, my radiator is behind it.... This stuffs is in front of it... Please see the pictures below... You can see my Radiator though the holes...... What is it? Does it affect anything??? Do I need to replace it? Right now, nothing is wrong with my car... My friend told me this is just to protect my radiator from rocks chips...

Many Thanks...

Last edited by clmlo; 06-19-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is this thing infront of my radiator? Do I need to replace it?

Uuuuhhh, It looks like your Condenser.
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bryan.0831
Uuuuhhh, It looks like your Condenser.
Yea, that was I guess too.. but there are no hose connect to it... and I don't see any leak... my AC is still working....
Old 06-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That IS the A/C condensor.
It is needed for the AC to do its job.

All those little fins that have been folded over are damaged too, they are supposed to be nice and straight so air can flow through them.
There are about a dozen folds (pleats?) on the right side of the bottom row in that pic that still look fairly straight.

It is NOT there to protect the radiator, although it does that job.

I have seen them lose the strips of fins like that, I had assumed it was due to debris and road salt that made them corrode and come loose.

I might wait until the AC quits cooling before I did anything, but you could call around and get an estimate to replace it just so you know what it is worth.
With all those fins bent over and missing, a fresh unit may let the AC work better.

HTH
Old 06-19-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That IS the A/C condensor.
It is needed for the AC to do its job.

All those little fins that have been folded over are damaged too, they are supposed to be nice and straight so air can flow through them.
There are about a dozen folds (pleats?) on the right side of the bottom row in that pic that still look fairly straight.

It is NOT there to protect the radiator, although it does that job.

I have seen them lose the strips of fins like that, I had assumed it was due to debris and road salt that made them corrode and come loose.

I might wait until the AC quits cooling before I did anything, but you could call around and get an estimate to replace it just so you know what it is worth.
With all those fins bent over and missing, a fresh unit may let the AC work better.

HTH
Yea, I think you are right... my AC is not as cold as before... but a 10 years old car... I was thinking to recharge my AC... but I guess... I can save that money and replace the condensor...
Old 06-20-2012
Registered!!

EM202 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had my radiator and condensor replaced last week, thankfully the used car dealership where I bought my car 9 months ago was willing to help with it, both were cracked, but all in all $400. the condensor, installed, purged and charged was only bout $150-$160 of that at a regular shop that they use. 2 metal hoses are connected to the drivers side of the unit.
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Wow thats kinda crazy. Never seen that before.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

Look closely, there has to be some kind of plumbing attached to it.
Old 06-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by scooty
Look closely, there has to be some kind of plumbing attached to it.
I am pretty sure it is the condenser... Now my AC is cold as hell in a cool day (25 C)... But last week when it is hot and humid (34 C)... and I driving in the city... the AC was cool but not cold... As soon as I get on the highway... my AC start to get cold...

I just wait till next Spring before I replace it.... Just try to get get another year of this....