Civic 2001 EX Noise from timing belt area - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2012   #1  
Registered!!

sankewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2001 EX Noise from timing belt area

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsLEtXkexlY[/youtube]

I took the car to the shop to get the timing belt done.. At that time they changed the timing belt and waterpump. They told me all the parts are OEM. Its sound like something is rubbing against the cover...
sankewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2001 EX Noise from timing belt area

The whirr that fades in and out repeatedly isn't normal. I recommend you return to the shop ASAP and allow them the opportunity to correct the problem with their work.

This would demonstrate integrity on their part.....
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012   #3  
Registered!!

The problem is that this is their second time working on it. They told me they replace it with a new tensioner. That whriling/whining noise is still present after that job. I took it in today and the mechanic say he can't hear anything which i know he lie cuz i can hear it clearly. He then begin to tell me that noise can be coming for the throttling bearing all these bullshit... I mean if he say he can't hear it and i can hear it what can I do? nothing.... I took it to another shop for a second opinion and that guy say it can be that the timing belt is too tight...He told me he can hear that noise too..

What do u think can go wrong? So If I do take it back to the same shop i'll know what to say...

Last edited by sankewl; 06-05-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: adding more info.
Old 06-05-2012   #4  

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the shop have a rocket scientist that is there mainly to bail out the flunkies when their work goes wrong?

I hope the new tensioner wasn't made in China. I hear they don't last worth a damn.

I can only speculate what happened, or what the cause is...

I kinda doubt it is too tight: #1) tight sounds different-whine, and #2) the tensioner is floating type and constantly tensioned by the spring.

I could guess loose, like the spring is stretched out. I release the spring before cranking the tensioner pulley over to R&I the belt. Other people leave the spring attached when they move the pulley, and I think that could stretch it from overextending.

I should guess aftermarket belt too. Pull a cover off, see if it says HONDA on it.

My step 1 might be to remove the timing covers and run the engine. If no noise, then reinstall one cover and see what happens......etc.

Timing covers are plastic and they can warp from heat, age, and oil leaks. If it warps just right it could contact the timing belt (or one of the pulleys) while it is running. Eventually it can burn, rub, or melt all the way through.

FEEL the timing cover in various places, I can usually tell pretty close where a belt is making contact before the cover comes off to see the evidence (if that is the issue). If it is on the "long side", then it is probably loose. (Long side is the longest run, the side with no idlers....the forward edge of the covers.... If that makes any sense.)

The lower timing cover is common to break one of the bolt holes out. The hole just below the blue circle is the one I see broken out all the time.
Name:  picture21-lowerTBcover.png
Views: 563
Size:  912.3 KB
In the interest of time, I just reinstall it and note it on the work order. (Hey, it came in already broke!) Nobody seems to want their car tied up an extra day.
Old 06-05-2012   #5  
Registered!!

Well thanks for replying.. I have no idea if the tenisoner is oem or not.. they just told me all the parts are OEM/factory parts.. The tenisoner was replace twice.. Im probably gonna go ask them to give me old tensioner back..

Can I just open the timing belt case without removing anything else that is in the way? (sorry if this question is stupid.. im a novice..)
Old 06-05-2012   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankewl View Post
Can I just open the timing belt case without removing anything else that is in the way? (sorry if this question is stupid.. im a novice..)
No, the upper timing cover is trapped by the valve cover. You would have to lift the valve cover to get the upper timing cover out.
Old 08-14-2017   #7  
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I have the exact same noise. I did the timing belt when I did the headgasket on my civic. Sounds like plastic rubbing on the belt. Could I just loosen the lower cover (after removing upper) to see if the noise goes away? Or do I have to remove the covers completely.... it sucks having to take it apart so much just to get the lower cover off.
GusBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusBuz View Post
I have the exact same noise. I did the timing belt when I did the headgasket on my civic. Sounds like plastic rubbing on the belt. Could I just loosen the lower cover (after removing upper) to see if the noise goes away? Or do I have to remove the covers completely.... it sucks having to take it apart so much just to get the lower cover off.
You could also remove both accessory belts and run it just to make sure the issue is really in the timing cover area.....

Can you see if either cover is warped or deformed, out of place?

Can you remove the upper cover then look down inside to see if the belt makes contact with the bottom cover anywhere?

Just thinking of stuff to try before diving in head first and having to remove the crank pulley.
Old 08-14-2017   #9  
Registered!!

GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Is it possible to see down from the top cover? I will try that. As for the bottom cover I remember it has one bolt hole broken and the seal was a lil deformed one one side.
GusBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusBuz View Post
Is it possible to see down from the top cover? I will try that. As for the bottom cover I remember it has one bolt hole broken and the seal was a lil deformed one one side.
IDK, that big bracket wrapped around the timing area might be in the way.

BTW that one bolt hole area in the lower cover breaks out of almost all of them.