Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

K20 EM2 Swap CEL p1167 ( Not wiring!?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough
K20 EM2 Swap CEL p1167 ( Not wiring!?)

Hello All,

I have been a major lurker for years, drooling over a k20 swap since I bought my em2. Recently had the opportunity to do the swap. Did it....love my car...except for CEL P1167 and crumby gas mileage!

k20a3 - Did alllll work myself in garage. I am getting intermittent p1167, was getting 1166 as well, but no longer. Mostly the light is on, occasionally starts and CEL light turns off, then returns after I shut car off and restart.
I have checked wiring over and over again, started with crimps and quick splices, re-did with solder, checked all connections from primary o2 sensor all the way to ECU, no continuity to ground, no resistance from end to end. I have checked voltage to heater, 11 volts and 14 or so when car is running. I haven't checked voltage to o2 sensor side. But I read this thread which scares me. It talks about an analog to digital converter getting fried if 12v and not 5v? http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87059 But my 02 sensor seems to output correct voltage for about 15 seconds as car warms up as I monitor with a PC and ODBcom.

Replaced o2 sensor with new denso unit...200 bucks...didn't do squat. 2 faulty sensors? I cant understand why it's intermittent, though very rare that the light goes away, it does happen. I have not checked fuses yet, I will tomorrow after work.

I can't shut the car off, and start the car back up without turning the key back completely, weird? It turns over but never fires up if I don't first shut the car off completely. doesn't even try.

When I start the car, I can monitor the o2 Fuel trim levels and voltage output from each 02 sensor. Then, the car jumps in rpm, then drops, then the voltage from the primary o2 sensor freezes at what ever value it was at, usually0.135 or so.

MY TPS is at 10.2% at idle too, is that normal?

This is driving me nuts, someone please help. I have spent about 15 hours wiring, rewiring blah blah blah. If someone has a question about my wiring, please ask, though I am very sure it is all right!! I am looking for ideas! I want over 30mpg...I should be getting at least 30...easily..... Help me fix this problem, this is a good engine I think....New plugs, new oil, new cooolant...new grounds from hybrid-racing, except for the cable that goes from battery to engine and chassis, that an autozone part, it seemed way bigger!

HELP!!!!!
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

309antonios will become famous soon enough309antonios will become famous soon enough
Re: K20 EM2 Swap CEL p1167 ( Not wiring!?)

So many views and no gurus yet!!?? Somebody please help! I'm losing sleep over this, I'm dwelling! It's so frustrating that I am willing to do anything to this car yet I can't figure it out. Very upsetting.

Anyone know if it is possible that the ecu is toast? Would be very strange that just an o2 circuit would have heavy problems. I am a computer guy as well, but the ecu isn't exactly and x86 system with a nice shiny linux distro on it! :P

I am going to check fuses in a little bit, also wire in my radiator fan.

Does anyone know what should be reported from the tps sensor when the engine is idle. Mine reads 10.2%.

Wooooooof!

Thanks for at least reading my misery!!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Hey man,

To start, welcome to the forum after years of lurking and congrats on the swap, would love to see some pictures once this problem is resolved.

When it comes to wiring and swaps, things gets confusing and complicate to diagnose quickly. These aren't exactly the standard problems to diagnose.

I'm reading, thinking, will tell you if I come up with something.

Definitely hit up the guys on k20a for some advice as well.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Hey MindBomber,

Thanks for the introduction, I should have joined years ago, it' not fair I'm just now joining because I can't figure this out! Hopefully I can get some info soon. I was thinking the wiring would be straight forward, I really just swapped c101 pins around and wired in an 02 harness that is usually there anyways, so no major reconfiguration. Like I said wiring works.

I am wondering if maybe my fuel return is kinked and too much pressure is forcing more fuel through the injectors...MAF or Air sensor messed up, TPS sensor messed up....I don't know! Such a pain in the butt! I'm taking a break then checking fuses. Lemme know if you come up with something!

Thanks again MindBomber!!

Best,
Antonio
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

So Fuses all seem good, I checked #2 and #4 under dash and #6 and #14 under hood. I also have stock ep3 ecu if I haven't mentioned that. I am getting scared.

I found this thread. He has had the code for over 2 years, and has never figured it out....and look at all the diagnosing hes done....

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=710547

I am going to go through the diagnosing hes done as well. Any other ideas? Please help. :'( I can't keep a car with an issue like this if I can't figure it out. OCD sucks
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

No one seems to like p1167 problem, especially dealing with other peoples vehicles.....It seems if I reset the code, jump in the car, start it and take it off, it doesn't start until the next time I start the vehicle.

As I said I replaced o2 with Denso, should I get one from the dealer, I don't think I can return this sensor to autozone. I dunno.
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

I wish I could explain how many threads I have been looking at.......dozens.....this problem is nuts! Sooo annoying....25mpg in a 2400lb civic si sucks......duuuumb!
Old 04-21-2012
Registered!!

Still nothing? No body likes coming in and reading all this huh? Frig! Someone want to talk me into blowing my money on a third o2 sensor....this time from Honda....317 bucks....ffff........