Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Air Intake Rattle in Rain Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Air Intake Rattle in Rain Driving?

I recently installed an AEM short ram intake on my EM2 and have been driving with it on for about 2 weeks. Since then, I've driven in heavy rain twice and each time, there's been a nasty rattle coming from under the hood or somewhere in the front half of the car.

After a couple miles driving in the rain, when I come to stop or start moving slowly, the rattle shows up and it's pretty violent. Is this because of my air intake? Is it sucking up water by any chance? I wouldn't think so because it's bone dry when I pop the hood to look.

Could it also be my catback exhaust rattling? Llike some sort of thermal shock on the mid pipe? Either way, it only happens after I drive in wet conditions for a while... any ideas?

Last edited by krudmuphin; 04-14-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Air Intake Rattle in Rain Driving?

Strange. I'd start by going over everything and checking to make sure it's tight.
Old 04-14-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

OK, scratch my original complaint.
I'm pretty sure now that it's the exhaust.

With 2.5" inch piping, it's likely that the cold rain on the bottom of the pipe is cause it to warp and hit the underbody of the car.

I've tried to get out of the car to find the exact spot of the rattle, but everytime I get out, the rattle stops
Old 04-15-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

To add to this. My 5 speed civic goes "Klunk" every once in a while when I accidentally let my RPMS drop below 500 due to a stupid shift. It's the short ram intake literally bouncing and smashing into the hood due to the low RPM engine bog / bounce. I fixed it by putting hardwoord floor pads on the hood where it bounces off. Though not a permanent solution or fire resistant, it's helped. I still get it when I bog down but it's improved a lot. Just a thought, check if the intake is hitting the hood, you will see the paint wearing off the intake where the impact is happening, and then find your own fix for it if that's the case.

^ Mine might be due to a cheap EBAY pipe.

(Hardwood floor pads are the felt pads that go under chairs and such to protect your floor)
Old 04-15-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm willing to bet it's the catalytic converter heat shield.
Old 04-15-2012

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'm willing to bet it's the catalytic converter heat shield.
Care to elaborate? It's defintiely a possibility, but I'm leaning towards the intake or exhaust pipe being the culprit because I just added them in the past month.

@BlueEM2 - I put a piece of foam between the intake pipe and the hood, but the rattle is still there. I think I've ruled out the intake.
Old 04-15-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

that heat shield is fairly flimsy, located on the underside of the car. I'm talking about the one between the car and the cat, not the one welded onto the cat itself. The one that's actually bolted/riveted/attached to the car itself