Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cold or Hot knob issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnnyVolcom55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold or Hot **** issues.

When you turn your heater **** from cold to hot, what happens? I hear a motor doing something behind the radio but i dont know what to call it. I know its like sliding something open and closed for cold air or hot air, but im having problems with mine.

When i turn the **** from cold to hot, the first 3 clicks always work but sometimes the motor stops closing (assuming) the air vent thing causing my car to blow cold air even though the **** is all the way on the hot end.

Sometimes the **** works perfect and i can hear the motor work after every click of the **** from cold to hot.

Car is a 2002 civic EX Sedan.

What could be going on and how can i fix it?

Sorry i can try to explain it better if needed but like i said i dont know what to call it.
Old 04-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold or Hot **** issues.

What you hear is the "temperature door actuator" or "blend door actuator", depending on what the door is called.
This catalog link just calls it a motor.

There are more actuators for the air mode and recirculate doors.

The actuator is comprised of a servo motor to do the work, and a position sensor for information feedback to the controller.

Since I can't diagnose it from here, my GUESS would be a faulty position sensor inside the actuator. I would replace the actuator if this was the case.

#14 is the temp door actuator here:

From: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT

It is simple to replace (like 3 screws, a linkage piece, and a wire connector), but in a darn awkward place to reach. Drivers end of the heater case.

HTH
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

JohnnyVolcom55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
What you hear is the "temperature door actuator" or "blend door actuator", depending on what the door is called.
This catalog link just calls it a motor.

There are more actuators for the air mode and recirculate doors.

The actuator is comprised of a servo motor to do the work, and a position sensor for information feedback to the controller.

Since I can't diagnose it from here, my GUESS would be a faulty position sensor inside the actuator. I would replace the actuator if this was the case.

#14 is the temp door actuator here:

From: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT

It is simple to replace (like 3 screws, a linkage piece, and a wire connector), but in a darn awkward place to reach. Drivers end of the heater case.

HTH
Ok, Thanks alot man. Now i will know where to start if it keeps acting up. Messing with it today i couldnt get the problem to reoccur so for now its fine but its good to know it shouldnt be too hard to replace. (if thats the problem and the location isnt TOO big of a pain to get at)

You replied in my other post about where to get door clips and what not, so thanks for that too man.
Old 05-07-2014
Registered!!

peeblesm is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a problem trying to switch the temp control **** from Hot to Cold.Just spent all day farting around with my temp mix system on the Civic. It was a REAL ballgame replacing the blend mix motor (pd. $70 @ Gary's for one out of a 2002 Civic Junker). Anyway, that wasn't my problem. So I crawled back up in there and finally located the mechanism that controls the heater box flap/door and gave one of the plastic arms a push with my thumb. It snapped and freed up!!! Thought I might have broken it. NOW I HAVE COOL, AIR AND HOT!!! I win!

Carbone Honda diagnosed a "stuck heater door and blend mix motor" and would replace those two items for $1173 using new parts and 6 hrs. labor ($77/hr.) and I was going to pay some kid down at Gary's $400 to put the replacement blend mix motor!