Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 civic - Idle problem when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012
jdm lifestyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajbias490 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 01 civic - Idle problem when stopping

When I come to a stop the idle drops for a few seconds like its gonna die then increases back to normal. Can anyone give me an idea of why this could be happening? Its an 01 civic ex with a manual tranny. Thanks
Old 04-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 01 civic - Idle problem when stopping

Your IAC valve is probably dirty, I would clean that first. Read this, it will tell you how to take it off and clean it. It's easy:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...?highlight=diy
Old 04-02-2012
jdm lifestyle

We already tried cleaning it and it didn't help. Maybe I should replace it?
Old 04-03-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I don't think you need to replace it. I have an 01 Lx, and I think mine does the same thing. It only drops for a second then the car picks the idle up to where it is suppose to be. I'll look when I drive to work this morning, it might be normal.
Old 04-03-2012
Prelude Owner

My was doing that but it stopped after I cleaned the IAC. Have you done a tune up? Cleaned the air filter? Fuel filter?
Old 04-03-2012
jdm lifestyle

No not recently. Ill do all that soon. I was gonna do a tune up and stuff soon but didn't know that could be the idle problem. Thanks
Old 05-18-2012
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

I am going to help you out here and hopefully it will solve your issues too. Backstory for me is that I had the same symptoms on my 2000. I changed the fuel filter, cleaned IACV, new air filter, spark plugs, new exhaust manifold (it was cracked), etc. etc. LOL

What you should try next is getting a bottle of Throttle body cleaner and a clean cotton rag and spray the inside of your throttle body where the "butterfly" clip is that opens when you open the throttle. For me the whole edge around the butterfly clip was dirty and caused it to stick sometimes. Even so it wasnt allowing enough air to pass through during idle so when the car came to a stop it expected more air coming in therefore stifling the idle speed until it could correct itself. So my advice to you is. Spend 8$ on that bottle of TB cleaner and try to make that whole inside of the throttle body as clean as possible. Solved my issue, hope it solves yours.