Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Leak somewhere on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Leak somewhere on passenger side

Last week I got into my car and it smelt horrible i traced it to where the passenger seat feet go so i shampooed the carpet and it smelt better. A couple days later it rained and the carpet was soaked so today i pulled it back to find mold on the white sound deadner underneath the carpet. I traced the leak all the way up to under the dash where there are black rubber pieces with foam on the firewall side of them. Can anyone tell me how to get these off so i can find leak? Or does anyone have any ideas where its coming from. and yes my windows have been up the entire time. thanks for the help
Old 02-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leak somewhere on passenger side

Is this on your 1913 Stutz Bearcat, or some mysterious kind of Civic?

Duh.

Year, make, model, etc.
Is this really all that tough to write down?
(No offense, you aren't the only one I do this to.)

See if the drain hose got knocked off of the evap box.

Once you find and fix the leak, you will really need to pull all the carpet up to get it cleaned and dried. There is a lot of padding underneath the carpet on most cars.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

sorry its a 04 civic lx coupe
Old 02-11-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Water can get everywhere through wicking action. You positive the leak isn't coming from the door? There is a plastic vapor barrier behind the door panel that some people tear out or tear up, and it can let water in if it is damaged.

Otherwise, look for the evap drain tube problem, or crawl up under there with a flashlight while someone dumps water on the suspected area.
Any recent work done? Windshield replacement, wiper cowl panel, etc.? Shoddy bodywork?
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

no its completely soaked in the carpet all the way from where the seat bolts up to underneath the dash. where is the evap drain tube located at? and no work done recently
Old 02-11-2012

Originally Posted by damoore
where is the evap drain tube located at?
It's right above your mess.

On the bottom of the evaporator housing, and goes forward out the firewall.
Black rubber tube, about 1/2 inch round.
Passengers sometimes kick the tube loose.

Or debris gets past the cabin filters and clogs up the drain, then water comes out wherever it can find a way out.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

can you tell me what the black plastics pieces are with foam on them towards the firewall. Cause they are soaking wet to im about to go look for the evap hose now
Old 02-11-2012

Got pics? I can't see what you see from here.

Probably there to shape the carpet and/or to fill low spots.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

Its the part right as it goes red to black. I didnt see the tube. But the back side of the plastic is foam and it is soaking wet also but the carpet that lies on top of the plastic is dry so i feel like its coming from underneath car. any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	82560  
Old 02-11-2012

It's padding and sound deadener. The same stuff covers most of the firewall on the inside.

Get your head under the dash and look up.

If there is a panel covering the underdash, you will have to remove it to see.
Old 02-11-2012

Here's a unit from an older car, glovebox has been removed. The blower housing is on the right. The drain is at the bottom of the larger left section of the assembly.

and works like this
Old 02-11-2012

Got a sunroof? The draintubes come off inside the car too. Look behind the kick panel area.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

found the tube its secure. i have no sunroof. the piece of plastic at bottom of the windshield is warped up on passenger side and i sprayed water all over it waiting to see if its leaking thru. anymore suggestions?
Old 02-12-2012

Did you try pouring a bucket full of water on it?

Does it leak during a rain, or does it only leak when driving?

Unless you can see trails of evidence, you probably have to wait for the actual leak to show up.

Leave the carpet pulled back, lay something down that will easily show when it gets wet, and wait for it to get wet?
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

i couldnt tell you when it leaks it was underneath carpet nothing as shown up yet though. got passenger seat out with carpet back waiting cause its supposed to rain later today
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

2hondacivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem in my honda civic passanger side. The carpet is soaking wet but you cant see where water is coming in. I looked up online and there are some welds that break and let water come in through the corner . The broken welds are hard to get to there is a hole you can stick your finger in and seal the weld.The only way you can acces it is by removing the plastic over the tire and reaching up. The leaking stopped coming in through there but i checked later and carpet is still wet im thinking water could be coming in through the sideskirt insert holes.

And my car is reconstructed and the front right side is where it got hit