Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drivers side window fell won't roll back up, seems to still be on track

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nufc is an unknown quantity at this point
Drivers side window fell won't roll back up, seems to still be on track

So I tried to roll down my window, and it just shot down quick. If I push down or up it makes noises but the window does not move. I took off the door panel today, and from what I can tell the window is still on track... I took off my speaker and can push it up slightly. However I push it up about 3 or 4 inches it wont go any higher it jams. Any ideas on what is wrong, or what I should try next?

I have a 2002 Civic EX.

Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drivers side window fell won't roll back up, seems to still be on track

If it makes grinding and crunching noises, the cable broke and it needs a regulator.
#9 in this pic. I looked up a 4 door car. Look up your own here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

HTH
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

What he said^^ Check ebay for a used one sometimes you can get a good deal. Or I even used an aftermarket new one. They arent hard to install, but you need to remove the glass which is a bit tricky to get out need to tilt it sideways and pull up. Other then that its just a few bolts.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If it makes grinding and crunching noises, the cable broke and it needs a regulator.
#9 in this pic. I looked up a 4 door car. Look up your own here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

HTH
ah I think you are right! Whats the exact name of the part I need, is it just called a regulator? I'm a bit sketch on trying to install it but its worth a try... do I need to take more stuff off to get the glass out? as it seems to jam after I force it a few inches up.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

ah im guessing this is the part I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...item4cfd3f6103
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Thats it. Take out the old one first and verify the cable is broken. Even if the cable is not broken; but all tangled up, chances are something on the regulator broke and its not worth to try and untangle.

As for removing the window. There are 2 screws number 26 in the picture. Get the window to a point to where you can access them and then remove the two screws and pull the window out. After that you can work with the regulator itself.
Old 01-14-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I chop the cables away from the motor when the cable is jammed and the glass can't be raised to the spot you can remove the bolts.

Drivers side is Left.
Make sure you pick coupe or sedan. They don't swap.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

I chop the cables away from the motor when the cable is jammed and the glass can't be raised to the spot you can remove the bolts.

Drivers side is Left.
Make sure you pick coupe or sedan. They don't swap.
Okay so I got the part today, I haven't tried taking off the glass... what cables would I be chopping away if I indeed have to? I want to be 100% sure on this so I do not mess anything up LOL

okay so basically my steps should be,

1. Push up window, If I can't get it up high enough chop cables(?)
2. Unscrew/unbolt windows slide window out.
3. unscrew regulator, take regulator out.
4. Put new regulator in screw it in.
5. Slide and screw glass back in?

Thats what I was reading online, is it really that simple?
Old 01-18-2012

Originally Posted by nufc
1. Push up window, If I can't get it up high enough chop cables(?)
2. Unscrew/unbolt windows slide window out.
3. unscrew regulator, take regulator out.
4. Put new regulator in screw it in.
5. Slide and screw glass back in?

Thats what I was reading online, is it really that simple?
Remove the door panel, try to avoid breaking anything. Peel inner liner down from the top, leave the bottom edge alone if at all possible.

1) yes. Just lift high enough to access the 2 bolts holding the glass to the regulator. Chop if you have to, it's already trash. Look at the new regulator, its glass guide should already be in the correct spot to access the bolts.

2) You can if you want, but I don't ever try to take the glass out. Just keep it in its track, lift it to the top of the window frame and either tape it there with masking tape/duct tape (both sides, over the top of the frame), or have someone hold the glass up (safer?) while you work. I have someone hold the glass up, it only takes me a couple minutes to swap regs once it's all loose and ready.
3, 4, 5) yes
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Remove the door panel, try to avoid breaking anything. Peel inner liner down from the top, leave the bottom edge alone if at all possible.

1) yes. Just lift high enough to access the 2 bolts holding the glass to the regulator. Chop if you have to, it's already trash. Look at the new regulator, its glass guide should already be in the correct spot to access the bolts.

2) You can if you want, but I don't ever try to take the glass out. Just keep it in its track, lift it to the top of the window frame and either tape it there with masking tape/duct tape (both sides, over the top of the frame), or have someone hold the glass up (safer?) while you work. I have someone hold the glass up, it only takes me a couple minutes to swap regs once it's all loose and ready.
3, 4, 5) yes
alright so I pulled back some of the liner and got to one of the bolts but it seems none of my wrenches work? ive tried a 3/8 which is too small but a 7/16 is too big..? maybe I need to get some pliars and try to get it off that way... and I am not completely sure where the regulator is attached... sorry for all the stupidity haha.
Old 01-18-2012

Dude, it's all METRIC.

The entire car is METRIC.

You need 10mm socket, extension, and ratchet for the window job.

I'd guess 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, 2 for the glass, 3 for the motor.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

Dude, it's all METRIC.

The entire car is METRIC.

You need 10mm socket, extension, and ratchet for the window job.

I'd guess 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, 2 for the glass, 3 for the motor.
ahahahh this is quite embarrasing alright ill get a 10mm ratchet tomorrow from my neighbor... I've only found 2 bolts inside so far but ill keep looking.
Old 01-19-2012

Do you have the new part?
Find where all the nuts and bolts go in it.
Hold it up to the door.
Find the same ones in the door.
Old 01-19-2012
Registered!!

I just pulled out a regulator yesterday. There was 5 If I remember correctly. The two holding the window to the regulator were a bit longer but still a 10mm head. Once that door panel is off its pretty obvious which ones are the ones to remove.

Remove the door glass bolts first (Those are the longer ones) or you will have a hard time moving the window up and down after the regulator is disconnected.
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

ross3093 is an unknown quantity at this point

my cable came off as well on a 03 civic sedan ex
I took off the door panel and have no idea how to remove the window because of the metal in front of everything. . .
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

ross3093 is an unknown quantity at this point

nevermind i saw how to get the the screws on this post https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...vic-coupe.html
however, is there anyway I can just reattach the steel cable without messing with anything else?