Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Axle Keeps Popping Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Axle Keeps Popping Out

Twice I look at my cars passenger side axle and it's popped out of place (on the tranny side) I have no idea why it's doing this
Old 01-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Axle Keeps Popping Out

COOL STORY BRO!

Oh. Did you want some guesses?

Wrong length axle

Snap ring damaged or missing or wrong size or.....sheared the end off at the snap ring groove? Seen THAT happen when one popped out. Not pretty.

Body/frame damage, drivetrain or suspension shifted to one side

Have you pulled the axle all the way out of the trans to look at the snap ring?

Keep the trans full of fluid.
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anibis will become famous soon enoughanibis will become famous soon enough

Sometimes when you remove the axle you weaken the set-ring that holds it in the trans, some people say to change the ring every time you pull the axle out, I'd start with this. If they are original axles I'd get a new set ring from Honda, shouldn't be more than a few bucks.
Old 01-06-2012
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Looks like its the stock axles so I do t think it'll be the wrong size. Snap ring sounds like it could be the culprit. I just filled it with new tranny fluid ugghhh. Amsoil isn't cheap
Old 01-06-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
so I do t think it'll be the wrong size.
Easy way to tell is to jack both wheels off the ground, remove both axle nuts. Push each stub inward until they stop. Each side should push in roughly the same amount. Probably about 3/4 inch. If one side pushes in a whole bunch farther than the other, that's a problem.

Snap ring sounds like it could be the culprit.
Honda says you are supposed to replace the ring every time the axle is removed. (I almost never do, but hey, if it is a problem, you better try it. It might be a dirt cheap fix.)

I just filled it with new tranny fluid ugghhh. Amsoil isn't cheap
10w30 is cheap.
Honda MTF can be had for like $6/qt. on the net. About $8/qt. at the dealer.
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Loose axle nut? Did you or someone else recently service the axles? Axel nuts get tighter then you think.
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
About $8/qt. at the dealer.
Try $12.99 at my local dealer
Old 01-07-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I just filled it with new tranny fluid ugghhh. Amsoil isn't cheap
Then drain the fluid into a clean pan, cover it up, deal with the axle dilemma, re-use the Amsoil. Removing the fluid from the transmission for twenty minutes doesn't decrease it's effectiveness.
Old 01-07-2012
Busy Speeding!!

In my ownership the axles have never come out of the car. I did have some wheel stud problem in which the axle nut needed to be taken out, but I'm sure they are torqued right.
Old 01-07-2012

Originally Posted by lazlong
Try $12.99 at my local dealer
MSRP is $7.70 USD right now.
BUT dealers are free to set their own prices.

Why would the kid be draining the trans to change an axle? I sure don't.
Pop the axle out,
put it back in,
top off what dribbled out,
clean it off.
Old 01-07-2012
Busy Speeding!!

I'm heading to a concert right so I'll look at the axle tomorrow
Old 03-05-2012
Busy Speeding!!

alright i FINALLY got around to looking at my axle, because I havent been driving my car much. It doesnt have a snap ring on it, and I need this car back together and drivable by wednesday night. I really dont want to order from the dealer, what size do I need? and is it just a C-Ring?
Old 03-05-2012

It doesnt have a snap ring on it, and I need this car back together and drivable by wednesday night. I really dont want to order from the dealer, what size do I need? and is it just a C-Ring?
My reply from earlier:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4582063

Factory axle; use a factory snap ring.

You said somewhere back there that the axles have never been out of the car.....If yours is MISSING, where the **** did it go?

You haven't touched the car in 2 months, and NOW you think you need it by the day after tomorrow?
Old 03-05-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to napa. Tell them what you need. They should have a book that tells them what one is right, and an assortment. Shouldnt be more then a few bucks. I could get one here for $1.23
Old 03-05-2012
Busy Speeding!!

well its not really missing... lemme upload a picture to show you

It looks like a cydrical ring with a small portion, about half an inch, missing (normal) however, thats all it consists of. it doesnt look like a c-ring and I dont think its normal

Last edited by SlimRisk; 03-05-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2012
Gangsta Sexy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FordSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the way it is supposed to be. Your ring could just be weak, or the the groove it snaps into could be full of junk.
Old 03-06-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Thats normal..replace it see if it gets better.