Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Ticking, Overheating, No Air, No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
macintosh14568 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Engine Ticking, Overheating, No Air, No Heat

I've been having serious problems with my 2003 civic 150,000mi. I've taken it to about 5 shops (even the dealer) and no one can figure it out.

Symptoms:
  • LOUD engine or transmission ticking mainly in 1st and 2nd gears. (also heard when revving in neutral.
  • Overheats when sitting idle for a few mins.
  • Strong smell of coolant coming from the engine compartment (no leaking though).
  • When the clutch pedal is pressed the ticking seems to stop. I read the transmission problems post, however he/she failed to describe specific noises.
  • Side note: Cold air intake sucked up water a few years ago, but the ticking didn't start until recently.
Big Ups! to the person that figures this out! I really hope its not the head gasket though.

Thanks everyone! Love the forum/community, keep up the great work!
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

wade623 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Engine Ticking, Overheating, No Air, No Heat

sound like you have the input shaft bearing problem too the transmission will have to come out and be taken apart the noise is caused by the plastic in the bearing breaking and all of the ***** arent held apart anymore noise stops because when you push the clutch in it isnt spinning the shaft anymore and the noise stops as far as the overheating you could have air in the system or it could be the fans arent turning on if it is only while you are sitting still it could be something wrong with the fans if you smell coolant it could only be a small leak it doesnt take alot of coolant to be able to smell it if you dont see any on the ground i would first check the thermostat housing seals if it is leaking between the thermostat housing and the motor the coolant will evaporate before it gets to the ground especially if it is only a small leak

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...save-some.html

Last edited by wade623; 09-10-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The overheating is the head gasket for sure
The noise is the input shaft bearing

Problem figured out. Now, the solution is probably to buy a used engine/tranny assembly and get them swapped in. It sounds like your current engine hasn't been well taken care of, who knows what other problems are going to arise while/after you fix the big problems you have now.
Old 09-10-2011
Registered!!

macintosh14568 is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds pretty pricey...The car overall isn't really in great shape either, I think i'm just going to cut my losses and buy a new car. Thanks soo much for the help guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 09-11-2011
Registered!!

wade623 is an unknown quantity at this point

wont be too pricey if you just do it yourself
Old 09-11-2011
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wade623
wont be too pricey if you just do it yourself

Lol, easier said than done for most on here.
Old 09-12-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people on this site do stuff themselves. We do have a select few who come here to find out what the problem is and pay a mechanic, but mostly DIY'rs.